First RCS Tank - Question

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

jmm197
Egg
Egg

First RCS Tank - Question

Post by jmm197 »

Ok, I have fallen in love with RCS now and am going to have to have a tank devoted to them. And I would like to make sure I get it set up properly for them before I get them. Someone tell me if this wont work.

I have had the "Biomax bag" part of the filter on a aquaclear 30 in the back of a whisper 60 on my well established 75 gallon tank for about a month in anticipation of something like this.

I plan on using that aquaclear 30 with that biomax bag on a 10 gallon tank along with a couple of handfuls of gravel and maybe some mulm/detrius, and a piece of large driftwood from the 75 gallon. Then getting a big bunch of java moss(should have extra bacteria) and about 10 RCS.

I have used this method before on hospital tanks and it seemed to work fine, but I just wanted to make doubly sure. I have read that RCS are sensitive to nitrate poisoning.

Should that be enough bacteria to start the tank without doing fishless cycling or something?

I would of course make sure the water temp is right and de-chlorinated good.

My tap water:
ph: 7.2
kh: 4
Nitrates are zero
BiffMalawi
Larva
Larva

Re: First RCS Tank - Question

Post by BiffMalawi »

Sounds good to me. Go!
Mitch
Egg
Egg

Post by Mitch »

Sounds good to me too... My CRS are pretty hardy so i think you will be fine... You should invest in some high quality shrimp. It will pay off in the long run if you sell any fry. :mrgreen:
jmm197
Egg
Egg

Post by jmm197 »

Thanks! One more question.

I am finding that it is hard to keep my water below 82 degrees in this 10 gallon tank.

Is this going to be a problem? Should I try moving the tank to a cooler spot?

Thanks!
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

82 F is alright for Red Cherry shrimp. If you want to move the tank that is fine or you can find a small fan to help with cooling if you want to lower the temperature.