Wood shrimp died

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

randyg123
Egg
Egg

Wood shrimp died

Post by randyg123 »

I have two Wood Shrimp (Atyopsis moluccensis) in a community tank that both died recently.
I had them almost five years. They died about three weeks apart.
Here is what happened.

One shrimp (I think was a female) turned pale and was staying that way for about a week. Over a weekend my filter pump stopped, Both shrimp were clinging to a plant staying just under the surface of the water. The male (I think) was on top of the female. They stayed that way most of the day. And then remained near the top for afew days. Finally the male left and the female remind up top. She died that following weekend.

The male looked fine. About two weeks later he started to look pale. But after a few days, he molted and then everything looked well with him. A few more days and he was dead. Other than turning pale I didn't notice any major physical attributes to other diseases (but I really wouldn't know what to look for anyways).

I really enjoyed these shrimp in my tank and would like to put a few more back in. But I am worried I have some sort of disease in my tank. The fish look fine. pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate all look good.

So my question is: Before putting new shrimp in my tank, should I perform any steps to rid the tank of a potential problem for these new shrimp? Any other suggestions?

Other information:
10-gal
Located at my office
Five community fish (1 6-year old Cherry Barb, 1 5-yr old Black Neon Tetra, 3 2-yr old Sunset Platies)
Whisper Filter

Thank you,
Randy
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Re: Wood shrimp died

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hi Randy,

Sorry to hear about the losses. Sometimes there are causes that are not not detectable by conventional means or they are the effects of stress the shrimp went through before we aquire them (not the case here since you had them for 5 years). In your case it is more like likely to be due to aging.

I would not worry about adding more into the tank from the information you posted. Let us know how it goes for you if you decide to do this.
DBPerson
Egg
Egg

Re: Wood shrimp died

Post by DBPerson »

Sorry to hear that. Just a question, was your filter working for the following weeks? Or was your tank temperature lower in that time frame?