I have leeches- need help!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

CaptMicha
Egg
Egg

I have leeches- need help!

Post by CaptMicha »

I have snail leeches in my invert tank which houses my cherry shrimp. I'm sure they're snail leeches, they're of the Glossiphonia genus.

Does anyone know how to get rid of them in an invert tank? Can they harm my shrimp? I can't find any answers anywhere; I hope some one knows something and can offer some advice.
angry pirate
Larva
Larva

Re: I have leeches- need help!

Post by angry pirate »

my suggestion is to move out all your shrimp,strip down that tank completely and consider all your snails dead already. i know this probably isn't what you want to hear but it's the safest thing i can think of.
i don't know if the leeches will harm your shrimp but anything you add to the water to get rid of them probably would.
good luck and let us know what happens.
CaptMicha
Egg
Egg

Post by CaptMicha »

That sounds really drastic. I hope I get more input. I'm going to be setting up a ten gallon Diana Walstad aquarium soon and will be inadvertently doing that anyways.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

CaptMicha wrote:I have snail leeches in my invert tank which houses my cherry shrimp. I'm sure they're snail leeches, they're of the Glossiphonia genus.

Does anyone know how to get rid of them in an invert tank? Can they harm my shrimp? I can't find any answers anywhere; I hope some one knows something and can offer some advice.
snail leech are not really dangerous for you shrimp, but can hit your snail hard , and therefore create some death of snail who will pollute your water without warning.

i use to use some medication to get rid of them along with planaria without hurt the shrimp , but this thing have a bad secondary effect , kill the snail ..... so again can be bad on you water.
CaptMicha
Egg
Egg

Post by CaptMicha »

I guess I'll just keep removing the leeches by net then.