Started off great, now not so much...

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

7Enigma
Larva
Larva

Started off great, now not so much...

Post by 7Enigma »

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum, but have been lurking for a year or two. I have been waiting on posting access for a couple weeks and so most of my questions have been answered through reading everything on here and the web. I have a 10gallon fresh water dwarf puffer tank at work that I had wanted to add red cherry shrimp to. A friend at work has quite a few in several different tanks and was able to bring me 8 shrimp of different ages/sex. But I'm getting ahead of myself...

Obviously I was not going to chance the puffer with the shrimp because while some people have had them coexist peacefully, the odds are not in the shrimps favor. I purchased a tank divider which I sectioned off the 10gallon 75/25% giving the puffer the larger space. On the shrimp side I put a large bundle of Christmas moss, and this tank has been up for over a year. Previously the tank had a large amount of slow growing anubias, but I removed a large amount of it when I cleaned the substrate a couple weeks before introducing the shrimp. The days prior to shrimp introduction I was doing 50% water changes to get the nitrAtes as close to zero as possible so the conditions were perfect for the shrimp. Please note after adding the shrimp I was doing 10% changes twice a week, same temp, Prime, and adding the new water on the puffer side. Was also (after reading this site) only using the cold water tap and then microwaving in a glass container the water to bring up to temp instead of using the hot water.

Here's a pic of the tank:

So I got the shrimp, slowly drip acclimated them to my water and temp, and then added them to the shrimp side. There were almost an equal number of males and females, and 2 of the adult females were berried, so I was very excited. They were very active and cleaning the walls, substrate, and moss. I got them on a Friday afternoon, and when I came in on Monday morning they all looked great (several molts were present in the tank which I hear is not uncommon when water conditions change).

Then the problems started. I accidentally added too much water to the tank after my water change and didn't discover it until the next day. Basically the divider is not perfectly square and so there was now a slight gap at the top that was under water. You guessed it, when I came in on Tuesday I saw 2 shrimp on the puffer side and could not find 2-3 others. At this time the puffer did not show any aggression towards the shirmp, in fact, she looked a bit scared of them (they were in the open on the anubias leaves). I fed snails to the puffer in a slightly higher amount than normal to hopefully prevent predation due to hunger. Again realize this is a seasoned 10 gallon tank with plants, and an oversized Aquaclear filter so I do not think ammonia issues were a factor.

That's when I discovered the gap at the top and so lowered the water level 1/2". I figured the problems were solved but over the next couple of days I started to lose them one by one. The worst was when the berried female died. After reading some success stories I removed the shrimp and carefully removed the eggs and put them in the tank. I didn't expect anything, and cannot see any shrimp fry in the tank (but it would be very easy to miss them if they in fact are there).

The 2 shrimp that were on the puffer side disappeared during this time. I did not have a safe/easy way to get them back to the other side and so they were kept on the puffer side. I do not know if the puffer ate them, they got sucked into the filter intake (since I did not plan on shrimp on this side it was left unprotected), crawled out of the tank up the heater cord, or simply hid somewhere in the plants and died.

I lost my last lone male sometime over the weekend (came in on Monday and he was dead). This was an almost adult sized male that I had hoped would let me know there was not a tank condition that was causing the deaths.

So now I'm left with a barren shrimp side (I think) and have real concerns there is something in the tank that was killing them. And then it dawned on me....for the last year I've used small pieces of granite (from my granite countertops at home) ziptied to the rhizomes of the anubias to keep them anchored down (for those that don't know anubias is very buoyant, and needs to be tethered down with quite a bit of weight). Granite also happens to be a hodgepodge of rocks stuck together, and it's possible there are some heavy metals that might have/may be leeching into the tank in trace amounts that the puffer isn't affected by (neither are the snails).

That is really the only reason I can think of why the shrimp slowly died off. There is no way it was an ammonia issue, they were acclimated properly and no deaths occurred until after 3 days in the tank. They were not fed during this entire time, their sole source of food was the moss and biofilm on the substrate/glass walls, and I kept the water changes to 10% using Prime (and cold tap water).

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my friend has offered to give me another batch when I've sorted out the issue(s).

Thank you and the forum is fantastic!

justin
7Enigma
Larva
Larva

Re: Started off great, now not so much...

Post by 7Enigma »

Forgot to add I do not use ANY fertilizers on this tank, it is strictly low light with slow growing plants. And also that the pictures I posted were 2-3 weeks before getting the shrimp. I had razorbladed the sides during my big cleaning and have added about twice the amount of moss seen as well so it wasn't a lack of food issue.

Also no clue on the double post. I posted a new comment here in the hopes that the other one gets deleted or at least ignored.

Also forgot to mention the puffer tank is kept at 80F and the water conditions are ~2-3 degrees KH and ~8-10 degrees GH.
angry pirate
Larva
Larva

Post by angry pirate »

no idea why they all died but i must say your tank does look a little clean. usually i wouldn't ad shrimp to any tank without it being nice and dirty. at the risk breaking the rules here what puffer is it you have my wife wants one so badly and i need so reccomendations :?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Justin,

Welcome to active posting. :) I really doubt it's the granite. Even if there are heavy metals, at PH levels above 7 most, if not all, heavy metals exist in chelated form, which renders them non-toxic. The most likely culprit is the age of your tank. If I am not mistaken it must not be all that old. It takes a very long time for a shrimp tank to get properly established, much longer than a fish tank. Shrimp aren't as hardy as fish either, so fish may actually look miserable during cycing but will mostly recover, but shrimp just die and very few, if any, recover. If your tank is relatively "new" then I'd recommend just keeping the puffer in there and feeding normally for a month or two before putting any more shrimp in there. Even if your test kits don't show anything "bad" there are immeasurable factors that can affect your shrimp. It's very rare that obvious measurements, such as too much ammonia, are the real culprit.
7Enigma
Larva
Larva

Post by 7Enigma »

Must have been too long of an original post! :)

Mustafa, I'm very glad to hear you do not believe the granite is the likely culprit. With that I plan to try again with the shrimp and write the previous experience off as bad luck. One glaring omission I completely failed to mention in my original and followup posts was I added 2 oto's to the puffer side before I left last Friday (when there was only the lone healthy-looking male left). The big omission was that the batch of oto's (I purchased 12, 10 for my main 20 gallon at home and 2 for the puffer tank) I did a parasite dip that specifically said, not safe for crustaceans. I did not add any of this water to the tank when adding the oto's (put the oto's in a cup first, drained all the water, filled with fresh, drained again, and then added them "dry"), but it is possible some of the chemicals could have leeched out of the fish. It would have been trace amounts but could definitely have been the cause. I was just concerned about the granite and thought it could have been a coincidence. Either way, many water changes will be done prior to addition of new shrimp.

I mentioned that this tank has been running for over a year now with the puffer. Prior to the pictures being taken I did a total overhaul of the tank. It was cruddy due to a large outbreak of blue-green algae (BGA). This is a low light tank with very good flow (due to the oversized filter) and so the BGA was likely caused by no nitrAte being present in the tank leading to the BGA (the anubias was taking over the tank and absorbing any ammonia/nitrAte produced by the single puffer. And without any oto's in the tank nothing was stopping algae/BGA.

So I tore the tank apart: razor bladed the sides, removed the substrate and washed it (used tank water only of course), heavily pruned the anubias, drained the water to almost nothing, and then filled it back up and ran the filter for a couple of days to get the water crystal clear. THEN I took the pictures So trust me when I say this was a well seasoned tank with adequate amounts of biofilm even prior to the cleaning. After the overhaul the tank was run for 2-3 weeks (issues with the shrimp supplier) where I was doing 50% water changes almost every day (I was told several times the shrimp were coming). By the time the shrimp were delivered the biofilm had begun on the tank walls (not BGA or algae, just that not crystal clear look to the glass), and I had added about 2-3X more christmas moss to the shrimp side.

Angrypirate,

The puffer is known as a dwarf puffer. The actual species is Carinotetraodon travancoricus, which while many people will tell you differently, are STRICTLY FRESHWATER. They max out at ~1 inch and are extremely (like all puffers) aggressive to tankmates. Most people that want long-lived puffers tend to do 50% water changes a week as (like shrimp) they are pretty suceptible to ammonia and nitrAte. I keep a single puffer since it's my work tank and I'm not in on weekends. Many people keep 3 in a 10 gallon, but it requires HEAVY planting to break up line-of-sight. Even then people report random behavioral changes where one day everything is great, the next one is tearing apart the other. They also require live food. Many people feed bloodworms or blackworms, I and many others use common pond snails. I started breeding the snails several months before getting the puffer to have an adequate constant supply of food. They are extremely picky and most have not had success with non-live food (they require very high protein diets and so flake food/etc. is not acceptable even if you could get them to feed with it). This makes their care much more demanding than most species as you constantly have to be taking care of the food source as well as the fish. They are also normally sold with internal parasites, as the species is unusually suceptible to them. When looking if you see a sunken belly stay away, because it is likely the fish is not salvageable. When I got mine the first course of action (even though it looked healthy) was a 2 day dip in Jungle's Parasite Clear, which is a coctail of several anti-parasite medications. And then she decided to go on a hunger strike for almost 2 weeks before realizing the snails in the tank were food (this is a common occurance). Since that time everything has been going great. In my 5+ years in the fish hobby I've never found a more interesting fish. They are far more intelligent than anything I've cared for and have very unique personalities. So head over to the dwarfpuffer forum (google it) and get hooked. :) Oh and they (when properly cared for) are very long-lived (10-20 years) so think of them more like a dog/cat than a fish!
infopimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by infopimp »

They max out at ~1 inch and are extremely (like all puffers) aggressive to tankmate
Just for the record: South American Puffers are very social. Mine co-exist with Neon Tetras cheerfully.
Attachments
PUFFY_4321.sized.jpg
PUFFY_4321.sized.jpg (111.74 KiB) Viewed 5060 times
7Enigma
Larva
Larva

Post by 7Enigma »

infopimp wrote:
They max out at ~1 inch and are extremely (like all puffers) aggressive to tankmate
Just for the record: South American Puffers are very social. Mine co-exist with Neon Tetras cheerfully.
I have heard this many times. Just like people some puffers are well behaved, while others are serial killers. Most of the research I've done tells a similar story of older age/maturity turning previously docile puffers into killers (pretty much regardless of species). Heck, many people keep shrimp with puffers! :)

That is a beautiful puffer btw! I'd love to have a large tank with a non-dwarf species as they truly are amazing to watch.
infopimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by infopimp »

To keep rulers away from our wrists here (Forum Rules), I will post a few places for you to research more puffer info:

http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/
http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/

Now, for the record, even my Puffers would eat ANY shrimp I put in the tank - even large Glass Shrimp. They are friendly - but by friendly I mean "nice toward other fast moving fish". Not friendly to snails, scuds and shrimpies... and if hungry enough they may eat a small Neon Tetra.
7Enigma
Larva
Larva

Post by 7Enigma »

Round #2:

I have taken delivery of another 4 Red Cherry Shrimp from my friend last Friday. Today there seems to be 3 doing fine, 1 has died. I did the drip acclimation for temp/water comp. and added them to the shrimp side of the puffer tank.

They seem to be doing very well, however I notice a long string of clear poo hanging from one of the shrimp. I have had to deal with internal parasites with my friend's fish before (he has upwards of 20 tanks), and am concerned this could be IP's. Is this normal for the shrimp, or am I looking at another IP infestation.

If so, do you recommend treatment, and if yes, with what? I have had success with a canine dewormer for my fish, but have never treated inverts before for IP's.

Thank you for your help,

justin

Update 9.10.09

Everything looks good today. The 3 shrimp are still active and moving around occasionally. I'm hoping the 1 loss was due to the transfer/acclimation process and I'll finally be on my way to starting up a colony. I know 3 is very small for a starting population, but I am pretty sure I have 2 males and 1 female (based on coloration but I'm obviously no expert) so at least they are all not the same sex. I wish (for breeding purposes) it was 2 females and 1 male, but I'm not going to complain. The only problem I see at the moment is the 2 males are much larger than the female (she's probably not yet full-size) and so I probably need to wait a while before any breeding could begin.

Update #2 9.10.09

Well apparently I have forgotten what I had read about the RCS. I was under the impression that (like most animals) the males were the more vibrant and the females the less. After (for the 50th time) I read the RCS info page I realize I likely have 2 large females and 1 smaller male. About 10min ago the paler (male?) was sitting on the back of the female for about 20min which I'm hoping is the possible "fore-play" as Mustafa called it in the species info page. I'm going to put a single . sized flake of fishfood in and see what happens. I assume there is enough food for 3 shrimp but I want to see the reaction to possibly guage their hunger level. I'm also battling an blue-green algae outbreak which I know can reduce the amount of light/nutrients for the biofilm.

I'm also now suddenly seeing my male have what looks to be a seizure on the ground! He is laying on his back, arching, and then suddenly kicking his tail, falls on his head then onto his back. He's done this for about 5min. Is this the act of molting I'm watching?

Update #3 9.10.09

It's about an hour since my last update and I can see now why shrimp really can't be kept with anything but the most uninterested of tankmates. The shrimp is indeed molting, as 1/2 his upper body is now out of the shell, but it seems to have taken a lot of energy as now he's just pretty much just sitting there on his side waiting for the shell to give. Any fish with an inlking of a feast could go over and have a nice snack and there is nothing the shrimp could do about it. Here's hoping the little fella has enough energy to get out and get back to eating!

Update #4 1:30pm

The shrimp is dead. The other 2 look fine. :(

Update #5 9.11.09

This morning when I came in I thought I had lost another one (would have been down to the last shrimp). I was just about to suck out the dead one (looked a bit whiter than normal) when I saw another shrimp right next to it move out of the way! I have seen molts before and this one definitely was the proper color, but I've NEVER seen one that appeared to be berried!? When a shrimp molts can they also lose their eggs in the molt? It literally looked like a replica of a shrimp only white, eggs and all. I'm just glad I still have 2 (even though they both are likely the same sex)....
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Sorry to hear about your losses. I would let the remaining shrimp settle in and adjust to their new diet and see if there are any changes in their waste.
It literally looked like a replica of a shrimp only white, eggs and all. I'm just glad I still have 2 (even though they both are likely the same sex)....
Best wishes with the remaining shrimp :) Please keep us updated on how they do.
7Enigma
Larva
Larva

Back to the drawing board

Post by 7Enigma »

I came in this morning after the weekend and my last remaining shrimp who had been in the tank for almost a month was dead. So with this last batch I started with 4, lost one immediately, then another a couple days later, then one about a week ago, and now the last one I found this morning. I'm really frustrated and think my goal of having a divided tank with my dwarf puffer and the shrimp is just not going to happen.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Sorry to hear you lost the last shrimp. Let us know if you decide to try again with another source of shrimp or start up a shrimp only tank (I like smaller nano tanks myself). Also, remember that almost all of us have had to learn by losing shrimp how to better care for them :roll: