How to quarantine Ghost Shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

CAMERONSMOM814
Egg
Egg

How to quarantine Ghost Shrimp

Post by CAMERONSMOM814 »

One of my fish developed gill flukes, so I have treated my tank with medication. Knowing that the medication will kill my 4 Ghost Shrimp, I have removed them into a quarantine tank. The medicine treatment is for 5 days. Are my shimp OK in the small tank (actually, it's one of those "cups" you hang on the side of the aquarium)for 5 days, and do I need to add aeration? They are looking really upset, going bolting to the top of the water. Normally they stay on the bottom, so I'm wondering if they are going up for air. I don't have another air pump, so don't have a way to aerate. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: How to quarantine Ghost Shrimp

Post by Terran »

If I really wanted to save the shrimp I wouldve spent like 12 bucks for a ten gallon tank, set up some simple water movement in the tank and add gravel from the cycled tank(before you added the meds). Then I would wait until the fish were cured and several water changes later over several days(till youve basically removed 100%)....Then I would re-add the shrimp.....

But this is as safe as I would go.... you could go safer I suppose.....with any plan you still risk stressing the shrimp to death....the more precautions you take the more likely they will live.