Sulawesi Shrimp ????

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Sulawesi Shrimp ????

Post by Newjohn »

Hello,
I have been away from the Hobby for awhile and I am just getting back in.
Before I had to leave the Hobby,
The " New ", " Have to Have " Shrimp were any of the Sulawesi Shrimp.
After searching the Old Threads for anyone keeping any of the SULAWESI SHRIMPS species.
I found only Old Threads.
Was anyone able to Breed these Shrimp ?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Sulawesi Shrimp ????

Post by Mustafa »

I've had various colonies of these shrimp going over several generations. As with other shrimp, if you manage to get the wild-caught shrimp to survive and breed, you have a good chance of establishing a colony. Unfortunately, wild-caught shrimp arrive here in such a bad shape that survival and breeding are far from certainties. Sulawesi shrimp are not particularly difficult to breed...not any more difficult than, say, green shrimp. How many people really have green shrimp colonies? Honestly, except for the colonies I had going for several years I don't know of anyone who has a green shrimp colony here in the US either. So, Sulawesi shrimp are not any harder or easier to breed than any other shrimp. It's been their high price, half-dead wild caught animals and most people's lack of knowledge that prevented them from becoming established.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Mustafa
Thanks for the response.
Sulawesi shrimp are not particularly difficult to breed...not any more difficult than, say, green shrimp
Unfortunately, wild-caught shrimp arrive here in such a bad shape that survival and breeding are far from certainties
It sure would be nice if the exporters did not ship hundreds of Shrimp in one bag.
I have heard that a lot of Importers have stopped importing Shrimp because of the High Loses / Lost Income
How many people really have green shrimp colonies?
The memories of trying to get/find Green Shrimp.
Sulawesi shrimp are not any harder or easier to breed than any other shrimp.
I will keep up my search for a starter colony of Tank Raised, if they are out there.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yeah...losses are still high because people just don't get that shrimp are much more sensitive than fish. As for finding tank raised Sulawesi shrimp....I don't think that's going to happen. You'll have to spend tons of money getting wild-caught shrimp and watch them die before, maybe, succeeding. Unfortunately, my colonies did not survive my multiple moves, otherwise I would have helped you out.
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Some of the Sulawesi Shrimp supposedly have a symbiotic relationship with freah water sponges as well...
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

hey john
nice to see you back
i am back also :) and happy to see known name :)

like mustafa said , this arrive in our hand in a so bad shape , it is really gambling there , that why i stop order them unless i have some guarantee
what i did not found yet lol