Shrimp Lifespan

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

hylas
Egg
Egg

Shrimp Lifespan

Post by hylas »

I have had one sri lankan dwarf shrimp for close to 4 years now (the others that I had have for the most part died of unnatural causes). Everything I have read suggests that dwarf shrimp life 1-2 years on average. Does anyone have any experience with similarly long lived shrimp, or any idea how long I might expect him to live?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Shrimp Lifespan

Post by Mustafa »

That's interesting....are you sure you have Sri Lanka dwarf shrimp? Did you get them from me originally? Anyway, Amano shrimp live many years (5+) and I would not be surprised if other shrimp that are thought to live only 1-2 years could actually live much longer if given the right conditions. Many shrimp find untimely deaths due to adverse conditions. I actually have a male red cherry shrimp that is about 3 years old and HUGE...seems like they keep growing as they get older, too. I've been keeping track of him since he's the only male RCS in a tank of dwarf crayfish.
hylas
Egg
Egg

Post by hylas »

I did originally get them from you, so I know it is not an Amano.

He continues to molt now and then, but he has not grown huge.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Wow...interesting. That's a great data point for this species. I know RCS live for many years, too, and it appears that many other shrimp species can live for years (instead of months under bad conditions in most cases).
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

very interesting
really, my oldest amanos will trun five this summer :)
mean they probably has them , but this summer , will make 5 marvelous years they enjoy my tanks :) (same tanks BTW) :)