ID Request

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

eraserbones
Larva
Larva

ID Request

Post by eraserbones »

I got these from another hobbyist. He called them 'rainbow shrimp' and mentioned that individuals tend to change color frequently, foiling any of his attempts to breed a consistent line. I see them lighter and darker (ranging from the pale yellow shown below to nearly black) depending on background and time of day, although most tend to the yellow end of things.

To my untrained eye they look similar to my snowball shrimp, but these guys seem to get much bigger... the closeup photo below is of a female that's over an inch long.

Can anyone help me out? Should I just presume that I have some kind of heteropoda mutt? (I'm considering auctioning a bag of these tomorrow but I have no idea what to write on the label. 'Rainbow' just seems dumb.)

Thanks!
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: ID Request

Post by zapisto »

my definition of "rainbow shrimp" : anything exporter cant id, or cannot put in the group they already sell.
in conclusion for me rainbow shrimp is nothing and anything :) but nice shrimp :)
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Re: ID Request

Post by TKD »

They look like yellow shrimp to me.