P. paludosus larval rearing

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

shrimpthing
Egg
Egg

P. paludosus larval rearing

Post by shrimpthing »

i've read thru numerous threads on this species here and wonder if anyone has anyone has developed a system to rear these guys successfully in decent numbers. According to an article(look up P. paludosus larval rearing) P. paludosus larvae do not need to feed during the larval stage...versus the other species that does.

I have several adults in a tank with lots of anacharis and whatnot...including maybe 3 berried females. I went ahead and seperated one out. I noticed today a larvae swimming around but only saw one(perhaps rest were eaten by adults?)
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: P. paludosus larval rearing

Post by zapisto »

I breed this shrimp long time ago.
and what i did is remove adult when hatching occur and FEED Them with micro food in liquid form.
I dont where you see you dont ned to feed them but i was feeding them for the short period of time they are larvae.

i would recommend you read : http://www.petshrimp.com/glassshrimp.php

and are you sur ethey are P. paludosus and not P. ivonicus ?
shrimpthing
Egg
Egg

Post by shrimpthing »

Hello zapisto,

read here http://www.fao.org/docrep/005/ac741t/AC741T24.htm

"Palaemonetes paludosus has abbreviated development, passing through three larval stages before attaining the postlarva. Of 302 larvae reared, 200 reached the postlarva in five to ten days without being fed."

The impression I'm getting is while they can feed in larval stage it is not necessary. That being said if you are getting them to eat nonliving food their is no real reason not to feed them...feeding Artemia, on the other hand, is inconvenient.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

shrimpthing wrote:Hello zapisto,

read here http://www.fao.org/docrep/005/ac741t/AC741T24.htm

"Palaemonetes paludosus has abbreviated development, passing through three larval stages before attaining the postlarva. Of 302 larvae reared, 200 reached the postlarva in five to ten days without being fed."

The impression I'm getting is while they can feed in larval stage it is not necessary. That being said if you are getting them to eat nonliving food their is no real reason not to feed them...feeding Artemia, on the other hand, is inconvenient.
to tell you the true , i follow what mustafa recommend and it's work , so why i would try other way :roll:
shrimpthing
Egg
Egg

Post by shrimpthing »

Simple. If it is easier for keepers in general, and produces same or almost as good results(I suspect you'd have somewhat lower mortality with feeding) then no reason to tell people otherwise. If I had known these guys did not need planktonic food, and that they only floated around for a week or so I would have gotten into breeding them a while ago.

Anyway, I currently have at least 8 berried females(a few dropped theirs already) plus some other juvenile/male shrimp in a large clothesbox(footprint a bit larger than a 10 gal, but only several inches deep). Lots of Anacharis and a single baby musk turtle. I've seen a few zoea floating around of various sizes but am not sure how many their actually are. How cannibalistic are ghost shrimp? Since they ignore fish fry I find it hard to believe they could effectively hunt down zoea/postlarvae. In any case I've kept them well fed.

I also seperated out one female with "eggs with eyes" into a small container. Its been almost 2 weeks and the eggs are still on her tail. Is something going on? She doesn't have that many eggs on her so I thought she was in the process of releasing them.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Scientific literature does state that P. paludosus larvae can metamorphose even if they don't eat anything. However, if I remember correctly, mortality *is* was reported to be higher. You may not see it but my experience is adults do hunt down larvae and even newly metamorphosed postlarvae (if there isn't tons of cover..such as java moss).
shrimpthing
Egg
Egg

Post by shrimpthing »

Hello Mustafa:

Thanks for the info. I've seen the adults get close to the larvae but they seem too quick to be grabbed by the adults. The tank has lots of anacharis and now a big clump of java moss. That being said, despite their probably have been 100 or so larvae released I've only seen a couple of postlarvae so they probably are getting eaten. I've been trying to keep the adults as well fed as possible. I hope enough survive to keep things going after the adults die off. Will probably set up a seperate small tank(5 gal or critter keeper) and keep larvae in there with java moss.

How quickly do they grow once postlarvae? As in, how long does it take for them to reach say juvenile size?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

It really depends on food and water conditions. Usually 1.5 to 2 months. They can grow pretty quickly.
shrimpbaby
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpbaby »

I used to rear them by feeding Golden Pearls Rotifer size 50-100. I would put the berried female in a tank by herself and remove her as soon as she released the larvae.

When I wasn't purposely trying to propagate them I'd still end up with a few that would survive in my larger tank. I assume that they were feeding on infusoria growing in and on the live plants.

It's not really cost effective to raise them, but I thought it was a lot of fun.