Shrimp-safe pleco?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Carlo
Larva
Larva

Shrimp-safe pleco?

Post by Carlo »

Hello all! Does anyone know what type of pleco can be a suitable tank mate for shrimp? I would like this pleco to help out with algae cleaning on the glass. Any other idea would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the info.
aidenofthetower
Egg
Egg

Re: Shrimp-safe pleco?

Post by aidenofthetower »

I am not an expert and fairly new at the hobby of fish keeping and shrimp keeping. However, I have done a fair amount of research.

-Plecos are usually safe for shrimp, but every now and again someone will say they think that their pleco ate their shrimp. That scares me.
-Most plecos are supposed to have a huge tank. We almost bought one at Petsmart. The tag said 20 gallon requirement and we have a 25 gallon. After a little research the three types Petsmart have require 60 gallons or more and get up to 2 feet!
-One exception is the bristlenose pleco who stays small (max size 5-6"). But they aren't always easy to find in local stores.

Another good option is a small group of Otos. They are vegetarian and really good algae eaters.
Carlo
Larva
Larva

Re: Shrimp-safe pleco?

Post by Carlo »

aidenofthetower wrote:
Another good option is a small group of Otos. They are vegetarian and really good algae eaters.

Indeed, I got 2 Ottos, and they quickly solved my brown algae problem.

Cheers!