Malaya,Malawa,Sri Lanka Dwarf and Sulawesi Shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

kimbog
Egg
Egg

Malaya,Malawa,Sri Lanka Dwarf and Sulawesi Shrimp

Post by kimbog »

I know that you can put one Neocaridina and one Caridina together without an issue with cross-breeding, but have read that Malaya,Malawa, Sri Lanka Dwarf and Sulawesi shrimp will not bread with either.

Is this the case?

Could I house others along with Neocaridina and one Caridina?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Malaya,Malawa,Sri Lanka Dwarf and Sulawesi Shrimp

Post by Mustafa »

Despite what you hear and read out there most Caridina spp. (species..plural) unless they are closely related. There are lots and lots of very remotely related species in the genus Caridina and I am sure that future revisions will split up Caridina into multiple genera..actually some of that is happening as we speak.

I will soon put up a table with crossbreeding information that will be very up to date (i'm actually updating the whole website and will eventually get to that). With some shrimp we just don't know enough about them, yet, to say anything definitive one way or another. For example, although up to this point the Malawa shrimp was known to not interbreed with any other species in the hobby, there is a possibility that it may do so with Caridina sulawesi (new to the hobby), which is from the same island and possibly more closely related to the Malawa shrimp. Time will tell and I will update everyone as soon as I find out any new information.
Shrimparium
Egg
Egg

Post by Shrimparium »

What will the offsprings look like if the malawa and sulawesi caridina cross breed with each other.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Good question...no idea, since it has never been done before. Plus, we still have to see if they crossbreed at all.
Shrimparium wrote:What will the offsprings look like if the malawa and sulawesi caridina cross breed with each other.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

What will the offsprings look like if the malawa and sulawesi caridina cross breed with each other.
I like them just the way they are.
Most / All of these Shrimp are still uncommon in the Hobby and it would be nice to keep Pure Strains.
There are already a lot of nice looking Shrimp available with out crossing.
If you are looking to improve on the looks of your Shrimp, try selective breeding.
Yes, it does take awhile. But, look at what RCS look like now compared to a few years ago.