Are these decorations safe to use in my shrimp tank?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

BostonJill
Shrimp
Shrimp

Are these decorations safe to use in my shrimp tank?

Post by BostonJill »

Pink sea urchin, plastic grass, and white shells without messing up the water parameters?
I should probably avoid dried small starfish is that right?
Sorry if we discussed this before I just want to start off with no problems when I set up a new small tank.
Attachments
psshells.JPG
psshells.JPG (22.74 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
psplasticgrass.jpeg
psplasticgrass.jpeg (55.42 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
PSUrchinPink08b.jpg
PSUrchinPink08b.jpg (104.08 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Are these decorations safe to use in my shrimp tank?

Post by KenCotigirl »

I see no problem with any of them. As long as they are clean and natural they should be fine. You could soak them in brackish water for a week or so just to make sure there is no hidden ammonia causing debris. I have even let algae grow on some hardscape and then introduced it into the tank. It attracts a lot of attention from both snails and shrimp.
BostonJill
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by BostonJill »

COTIGIRL wrote:I see no problem with any of them. As long as they are clean and natural they should be fine. You could soak them in brackish water for a week or so just to make sure there is no hidden ammonia causing debris. I have even let algae grow on some hardscape and then introduced it into the tank. It attracts a lot of attention from both snails and shrimp.
Thanks Ken! Do you think boiling the urchins will kill everything that needs to be killed?
I can scrape any dried material out after the boiling.
Also if I boiled small dried starfish do you think that would still chance the water parameters?
I guess what I'm saying will boiling kill anything that can cause a problem with urchins and starfish?
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

I never boiled anything. Some people have added hardscape and had ammonia spikes. That is why I put it in a separate container. A few days a week maybe two later I do an ammonia check. Still zero I feel it is safe. Maybe boiling is a good idea. Maybe this is over kill but it makes me/you fell better. I would be careful with the grass. i do not know how the plastic will hold up to heat.
Ken
BostonJill
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by BostonJill »

COTIGIRL wrote:I never boiled anything. Some people have added hardscape and had ammonia spikes. That is why I put it in a separate container. A few days a week maybe two later I do an ammonia check. Still zero I feel it is safe. Maybe boiling is a good idea. Maybe this is over kill but it makes me/you fell better. I would be careful with the grass. i do not know how the plastic will hold up to heat.
Ken
I think the plastic grass should be fine. I meant I would just boil anything that was alive at one time.
Do you think if I boiled a dry starfish it would be safe? I like the idea of testing it in a separate container.
nick11380
Larva
Larva

Post by nick11380 »

I’m just guessing here but wouldn’t putting the dried starfish in the water or boiling it rehydrate it and turn it into a mess.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

nick11380 wrote:I’m just guessing here but wouldn’t putting the dried starfish in the water or boiling it rehydrate it and turn it into a mess.
That's exactly what would happen...even without boiling it. Honestly, until I read this thread and performed a search, I had no idea dried starfish even existed...amazing. It's one thing to collect shells of dead animals, but another to go kill a bunch of starfish and dry them. At least that's how, I assume, they are harvested and processed.