The New Supershrimp Owner Experience. (Long post!)

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

MelWong
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: The New Supershrimp Owner Experience. (Long post!)

Post by MelWong »

I've been telling my shrimp "If you guys breed, I'll get you a new tank, honest!"

I've got my eye on a Mr. Aqua 12gal long rimless, but ... you know. I only have the ten of them and I want to get a successful breeding colony before I actually spend more on them, so it's benign neglect, knitting, and encouraging them to breed by talking to them. Not that I believe they understand me, mind, but it's amusing to try.

At least now I know why my mother keeps asking for grandchildren when she calls me on the phone.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

MelWong wrote: At least now I know why my mother keeps asking for grandchildren when she calls me on the phone.
That's what mothers do. They are, at least partially, in the business of encouraging breeding...by talking. :-D
MelWong
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by MelWong »

Mustafa wrote:That's what mothers do. They are, at least partially, in the business of encouraging breeding...by talking. :-D
I call it Chinese telephone torture, especially when she asks me if we're not doing it right. Even if we were, it's not something she needs to know, or I need to talk about with her. Brrr.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

MelWong wrote: I call it Chinese telephone torture, especially when she asks me if we're not doing it right. Even if we were, it's not something she needs to know, or I need to talk about with her. Brrr.
We're going way off topic, but I couldn't resist... "..not doing it right."?? As in, the sperm cells aren't receiving written instructions on how and where to find the egg? Or the sperm cells are not given enough of a technological advantage by NOT being equipped with mini GPS devices and coordinates for the egg? :-D Maybe if you are really open with her about *every detail* she will feel awkward and stop. :D

How are the shrimp doing by the way?
MelWong
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by MelWong »

The shrimp are doing good, although my macroalgae has stalled in growth somewhat and is turning pale, and one of the clumps had put out a feeler so thin and stringy it looks like a strand of hair. From another thread on this forum I think I may be underfeeding the tank, and I'll up my usual feeding amount to 3 pellets instead of 2, every 2 weeks, and see how that goes.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Good idea. You can even double the amount pretty safely if the current amount of food hasn't caused caused much surface algae growth and doesn't provide enough nutrients for the macroalgae. It's always better to err on the side of underfeeding. If you underfeed, the worst that can happen is that your shrimp won't reproduce for a while. If you overfeed, the worst that can happen (and lots of times does) is that you end up with no shrimp and completely messed up tank.
MelWong
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by MelWong »

Three of my females are saddled so heavily that if I look at them from the right angle I can actually see that they're packed with eggs. I won't be feeding them until next week, so it'll have to wait until next Thursday for me to figure out if more food will help the macroalgae and maybe stimulate breeding.
LeShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by LeShrimp »

MelWong wrote:Three of my females are saddled so heavily that if I look at them from the right angle I can actually see that they're packed with eggs. I won't be feeding them until next week, so it'll have to wait until next Thursday for me to figure out if more food will help the macroalgae and maybe stimulate breeding.
Most of my females are packed with eggs but for some reason they just wont drop there eggs down. :cry:
MelWong
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by MelWong »

LeShrimp wrote:Most of my females are packed with eggs but for some reason they just wont drop there eggs down. :cry:
Maybe they're like me and just want to finish their degree first. :p