berried soon possibly?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

LeShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

berried soon possibly?

Post by LeShrimp »

My opae have been saddled for a while now and I just noticed a female that appears much wider than the others and it also looks like she has developed a small "cage" where berried eggs go. Is this a sign she is preparing to drop her eggs down?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: berried soon possibly?

Post by Mustafa »

Possibly...you'll just have to wait and see. :)
LeShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by LeShrimp »

I am so excited! The same female has berried!
So what is the mortality rate on the shrimplets? I really hope they all survive.
Also is it true that it takes around a month for the eggs to detach upside down?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

There you go. :) It happens sooner or later. Mortality depends on what you do with the tank. If you feed the hell out of the tank like one of the forum posters here does, then mortality is going to be relatively high. If not, and you leave the tank alone, pretty much all of them are going to survive. Larvae are a whole lot more sensitive to bacterial blooms and general water pollution than adults. Yes, it takes about 30-35 days for the larvae to hatch, and another ca. 2 weeks for them to turn into mini-shrimp.
LeShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by LeShrimp »

Mustafa wrote:There you go. :) It happens sooner or later. Mortality depends on what you do with the tank. If you feed the hell out of the tank like one of the forum posters here does, then mortality is going to be relatively high. If not, and you leave the tank alone, pretty much all of them are going to survive. Larvae are a whole lot more sensitive to bacterial blooms and general water pollution than adults. Yes, it takes about 30-35 days for the larvae to hatch, and another ca. 2 weeks for them to turn into mini-shrimp.
Thanks for the response. I geuss I will keep this thread updated :-D
LeShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by LeShrimp »

I have found two more berried females. Things are going good so far :-D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Just make sure that you do NOT change anything. :)