Freed Ecosphere shrimp - Dinoflagellates in tank already???

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

JasonG3333
Larva
Larva

Freed Ecosphere shrimp - Dinoflagellates in tank already???

Post by JasonG3333 »

Hello everyone! And happy holidays! (I know it may seem sad that I'm posting this on xmas eve, but don't worry - I'm ok ;-) ) First time participant here. About a month ago, I freed 2 supershrimp from one of those baseball-sized Ecospheres I had received as a gift about 6 years ago. They weren't showing any signs of failing health or anything, but after having them for so long and becoming attached, I decided to attempt to free them before it was too late. After setting up my tank and letting it cycle for a week, I freed the shrimp and got them in there successfully. Here is my set up:

-2.5 gallon glass Mr. Aqua tank
-Nature's Ocean Bio-Active Aragonite Live Reef Substrate (supposedly cycles tank instantly)
-"live" rock
-plastic plant
-Marina C10 10W heater
-Utilitech 3000K LED bulb, 60W equivalent (9.8W actual), 800 lumens, from hardware store
Jae Senji hawaiian red shrimp opae ula 01.JPG
Jae Senji hawaiian red shrimp opae ula 01.JPG

The room has north-facing windows, so there is some indirect light, but not too bright. Also, the lamp lights up the tank much more than it appears in the photo.

Anxious over whether or not they were in desperate need of some food after being in the Ecosphere so long, I Immediately dropped an algae wafer in the tank after placing the shrimp in (they didn't eat any of it). Mistakenly, I let it sit in there a few hours longer than the recommended 2hrs, and I could subsequently see a green layer floating in there - it eventually dissipated, and all appeared fine. A week or 2 later, a fuzzy, brown growth appeared on everything in the tank, mainly on one side. Not sure if the wafer has anything to do with the growth, but I thought I would mention it just in case. I haven't added any other food since. The growth appeared before I set up the 3000k LED bulb (many online indicated that algae grew best in red-spectrum light). When it first appeared, I just had a 5000K CFL bulb in that lamp which was only on for about 6hrs at night. Otherwise, there was only the very mild indirect daylight from the window.

The growth has progressed fairly quickly, especially on the rock, and is beginning to spread to the other side of the tank. After doing some research on algae and other aquarium growths, it seemed like it may be DINOFLAGELLATES due mainly to the spikes with bubbles on the ends of them. But the bubbles (which any type of algae can produce I guess), the color, and its texture also point to other (and more favorable) possibilities like DIATOMS or CYNOBACTERIA. The color isn't as green as it appears in the photos - it's more brown with just a hint of green. When disturbed, it seems more powdery (which some said is a characteristic of diatoms) than snotty/viscous/stringy (signs of dinos supposedly). But it also seems to have some viscosity as well since some of the bubbles that float to the water surface carry pieces of substrate up with them. Here are some photos (have more if needed):

Jae Senji hawaiian red shrimp opae ula 02.JPG
Jae Senji hawaiian red shrimp opae ula 02.JPG
Jae Senji hawaiian red shrimp opae ula 03.JPG
Jae Senji hawaiian red shrimp opae ula 03.JPG

About 10 days ago, I also added a couple of snails that I bought from a supershrimp/snail tank that I was told Mustafa himself had set up at Aquatic Warehouse here in San Diego. The snails and shrimp all seem ok, but it also makes me a bit nervous that I've never caught any of them eating from the surfaces where the growth is really thick, as if it isn't tasty to them and therefore may be dinos. The shrimp are molting periodically, though, and I can always detect the line of excrement passing through them (and see it in the tank). And the snails are constantly snacking.

So, can anyone identify definitively what the growth is (dinos? diatoms? cyno? will eventually turn into green algae? something else?), and whether or not it is something I need to be concerned about? And even if it appears NOT to be dinos or anything else detrimental, can anyone tell me what I need to do to get that nice bright green algae growing in there like other tanks I've seen (including one posted in this forum and like the one Mustafa set up at Aquatic Warehouse)? Is it indeed true that algae grows best in red-spectrum light like with 2700K or 3000K bulbs? Are LED's the most effective type of light? Being that my tank began in a relatively low-light environment, could that have induced the less-than-optimal (assuming that's the case) growth? Do "live" substrates and rocks actually hinder algae growth?

Any advice on the optimum environment for healthy algae would be greatly appreciated. After saving these guys from an Ecosphere, I would love nothing more than to have them live long, healthy lives! I'll most likely add additional shrimp and snails once I'm confident I have a healthy tank in effect.

Thanks a lot in advance for your time and attention!
Jae Senji hawaiian red shrimp opae ula 04.JPG
Jae Senji hawaiian red shrimp opae ula 04.JPG
Last edited by JasonG3333 on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Freed Ecosphere shrimp - Dinoflagellates in tank already

Post by KenCotigirl »

Your tank setup looks nice. I would not feed for a long while. Two shrimp in two gallons need no food. My shrimp would be all over the growth in your tank. I use 6500k lights but probably not necessary. You lighting seems fine. Add some macro algae and another eight shrimp. It will enhance your setup and you should get reproduction. Good luck!

My eyes are not that bad but are your shrimp or snails in any of the pictures?
Jackal148
Egg
Egg

Post by Jackal148 »

Nice looking set up. Judging from the pictures and the fact that the aquarium has recently been set up, my guess it that the brown stuff are just diatoms. They usually show up first and in great numbers when a tank is fresh. Over time, they will subside and will probably be replaced by green algae. The reason you probably are not seeing the shrimp eating is that there is so much to eat for two shrimp that they no doubt are stuffed when you look in. I sometimes will put a diatom covered stone from another tank in with my Opaes and there get it looking like new in no time. As was suggested, some macro algae would benefit the tank both visually and water quality wise. One more thing, you probably don't need the heater.

Enjoy the shrimp, you did them a favor!
JasonG3333
Larva
Larva

Post by JasonG3333 »

COTIGIRL wrote:Your tank setup looks nice. I would not feed for a long while. Two shrimp in two gallons need no food. My shrimp would be all over the growth in your tank. I use 6500k lights but probably not necessary. You lighting seems fine. Add some macro algae and another eight shrimp. It will enhance your setup and you should get reproduction. Good luck!

My eyes are not that bad but are your shrimp or snails in any of the pictures?
thanks for the quick reply! seems the consensus is that the color temp of the lighting doesn't matter too much for algae growth, but i wanted to be sure. will surely order some macro algae and get more animals in there soon. in 2 of the pics you can see a snail on the front glass, but the other is most likely buried in the substrate (they seem to enjoy hanging out under there from time to time). the shrimp are most likely somewhere within the small passageways in the rock (where they often are).
Last edited by JasonG3333 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JasonG3333
Larva
Larva

Post by JasonG3333 »

Jackal148 wrote:Nice looking set up. Judging from the pictures and the fact that the aquarium has recently been set up, my guess it that the brown stuff are just diatoms. They usually show up first and in great numbers when a tank is fresh. Over time, they will subside and will probably be replaced by green algae. The reason you probably are not seeing the shrimp eating is that there is so much to eat for two shrimp that they no doubt are stuffed when you look in. I sometimes will put a diatom covered stone from another tank in with my Opaes and there get it looking like new in no time. As was suggested, some macro algae would benefit the tank both visually and water quality wise. One more thing, you probably don't need the heater.

Enjoy the shrimp, you did them a favor!
thanks for the quick reply! glad to hear you don't think it's dinos! that makes me feel a little better. hopefully it is indeed just diatoms. none of the pictures of all the various tank growths that i found online looks exactly like what i have, so i wasn't sure what to think. if anyone can look at my pics and tell me for sure, please chime in! but my feeling now, esp after reading the info in your reply, is that it's probably ok whatever it is. i believe i did hear somewhere that diatoms were common for new set ups. gonna get some macro algae soon. thanks for the advice on everything!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Jason, welcome to the forum! :)

Coti and Jackal already did a great job at giving advice. Just a few more things. Don't worry about the type of growth on your rocks too much. Algae, dinos, cyanobacteria, etc...they will all get eaten by the shrimp and the snails. The snails you have also originally came from me (or maybe their ancestors), so I can guarantee you that they will do a great job at eating all that extra algae growth. It may take some time, though, as the snails need to reproduce first before being able to eat *all* of it. Some brackish macroalgae may help, too, as it will compete for nutrients with your aufwuchs. The reason why you have that much aufwuchs is probably the "live" substrate you bought. Unfortunately, those substrates also tend to have lots of dead stuff in them (if they have any life organisms at all after sitting around on warehouse and store shelves forever). When those organisms decay, they release nutrients into the water, which then causes excessive aufwuchs growth. You really only want a thin film...not thick, bubbling mats. Other than that, just follow the advice given above. Don't feed them until all the thick aufwuchs is gone..that may take many months given you only have very few animals (shrimp and snails) in there. The shrimp won't be out and about much either was they really don't need to look very hard for things to eat..it's right where they stand already. :)

In any case, as always, keep us updated! :)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Jason,

Thanks for updating your post with the pictures. Unfortunately, when this website was moved to a new service provider almost all the attached images in this forum got corrupted or lost. I replied to your email but for some reason my message kept bouncing back (returning as undeliverable). In any case...keep posting more images please if you have new ones available. I love seeing people's tanks over time. "tooth" in this forum has done an excellent job of that in the last few years.
JasonG3333
Larva
Larva

Post by JasonG3333 »

Thanks for the update! Not sure what happened with your reply to me - must've mis-typed my email address. I am about to re-upload the photos for another corrupted post as well, so I'm glad to know that you're ok with how I went about remedying that issue in this post.

Concerning a tank update, this tank no longer exists, but I wanted to get those photos back up so that anyone else who develops seemingly the same "issue" (turns out everything was fine) would be able to review those photos while doing his/her research. Just wanna keep the Opae Ula encyclopedia that Petshrimp.com is as visually comprehensive as possible! 8)

The original 2 ecosphere shrimp that I freed have now been in 3 different tanks beyond the sphere. Over the past couple of years, I've gotten more knowledgeable and skilled (from research and experience) concerning setting up healthier and more aesthetically pleasing environments for these little guys. The 3rd and latest tank has been the charm - turned out really awesome (in my opinion) in all regards, and so, that one is most likely here to stay. It currently entails 22 shrimp - sphere=2, Aquatic Warehouse=3, born in second tank=7, Petshrimp.com store=10. I will soon (hopefully) be creating a new post revealing my latest and most terrifying tank to all who dare to lay eyes upon it - ha ha ha! (<<<evil laugh) :twisted: Hopefully you'll cross paths with that future post so you can let me know what you think. Thanks again!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the update! I'm glad to read/hear that you had reproduction in your tanks(s). I'll see if I can actually change the original post so that the pictures show up there. I should be able to do it.... It's just that in most cases (people's corrupted posts from the last few years) I don't have the original pictures anymore.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Fixed original post.