First Berried Shrimp!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

below_radar_00
Larva
Larva

First Berried Shrimp!

Post by below_radar_00 »

Well this is a crazy story here! Today I looked into my one gallon office aquarium and noticed a berried female. I noticed her because she was darting around frantically as other shrimp got near her. At first I thought she had a snail stuck to her and was trying to fling it off but I took out my phone, turned the camera on, and zoomed in and sure enough there are eggs there. Now let me tell everyone the crazy part...this tank has been a disaster. If you've seen my other posts then you've read the story but if not let me rehash it here.

My journey started out last year with Ecosphere pods from Groupon. I busted those guys out after they started dying off since I read on sites like this how awful those things were. I set those guys up in a one gallon tank in my living room. I decided to then set up another tank in my office. I found a guy selling shrimp for a really low price and he also had algae covered rock and pre-cycled water. I thought "Oh, great way to get another gallon tank setup right away". Boy was I wrong. The seller shipped a pound of rocks, a gallon of water, and 30 shrimp in one box instead of in separate boxes like his website said. He sent the package out during the big ice storm earlier this year so it was delayed for days. When it finally arrived the box was soaked. The post office was ticked off at me because the package had been leaking all over the post office and their trucks. They ended up wrapping the box in plastic and putting it in one of those corrugated carrying boxes they have. They asked if I wanted to refuse the shipment but I didn't know how much water had leaked out so I decided to take the package in case the shrimp had managed to survive. It was pretty nasty inside that box...The gallon of water turned into about half a cup of water...I'm not exaggerating. There were dead shrimp everywhere. Some were crushed from the pound of rocks that was in a bag next to them and others were just dead from lack of water. At first I thought only 4 survived but I poured all of them into a cup with fresh brackish water that I just mixed a few days before. The next day, I think around 20 of them were alive somehow. I really have no idea how they survived since some of them were completely without water for who knows how long. Since the water was all gone I had to start this tank with a gallon of freshly mixed brackish water...no cycling whatsoever. Now I did buy chateo and snails from Mustafa but everything was thrown into the tank on the same day. I figured the shrimp would die a few days later from shock so I went ahead and purchased 30 more shrimp from another dealer. They arrived perfectly. By the time I got these shrimp the tank had been up for several weeks, no deaths. I ended up splitting these shrimp between both my tanks.

This was all back in Feb of this year! From what I’ve read on here this is pretty unusual. The water was not cycled, at all. There are 35-40 shrimp all in a gallon container which I’ve read is fine if it happens naturally but that you shouldn’t just dump a bunch in all at once since it’s likely to overload the system. And the tank is barely over 90 days old. Crazy stuff but I guess it shows how super these little guys are.

I'm sure it's not recommended to setup a fresh tank like I did but I had no choice and it was the only way I could even attempt to salvage what this other dealer did. But if berried female means healthy tank then it looks like I got lucky!

Rob in Puyallup
Shrimp
Shrimp
Location: Puyallup, Washington. Thirty miles south of Seattle.

Re: First Berried Shrimp!

Post by Rob in Puyallup »

Congrats, Phil!

I knew you could do it!

These guys are no way near as delicate as other shrimp, that's for sure!

Soon you'll find another berried female, then soon after that a never ending supply of larvae!

Rob
dndvictory
Egg
Egg

Post by dndvictory »

That's great. The first berried shrimp is exciting to find.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Nice story Phil. Keep us up dated. About a month from now I hope we hear you have larvae floating about the tank.
Ken
below_radar_00
Larva
Larva

Post by below_radar_00 »

Thanks everyone! Will do! I saw her this morning feeding and all looks well. I don't stare into that tank up close too often so it makes me wonder how long she's had those eggs.
sabbylina
Larva
Larva

Post by sabbylina »

You bring me hope for my own tank. Thank you!
below_radar_00
Larva
Larva

Post by below_radar_00 »

Well this is pretty crazy...looks like there's another one! You can see both in this photo:

dndvictory
Egg
Egg

Post by dndvictory »

That's great. They look to be about maxed out with eggs. Good luck with them!
Rob in Puyallup
Shrimp
Shrimp

You'll have billions before you know it!
below_radar_00
Larva
Larva

Post by below_radar_00 »

Hey Rob!

You aren't kidding...I looked in today and saw a THIRD berried shrimp! At first I thought maybe it was one of the other two but then I saw that all three of them were hanging out on the lava rock together all berried. Wow! This is a small 1 gallon tank and it already has some 30-40 shrimp in it. I imagine the population will double with these three berried shrimp once their eggs all hatch in a month or two. That's a lot of shrimp in a small space!
Rob in Puyallup
Shrimp
Shrimp

Gotta tell ya, these guys are aquatic roaches! Lol!
below_radar_00
Larva
Larva

Post by below_radar_00 »

Yesterday I noticed one tiny baby shrimp bobbing up and down. This morning I can see at least eight new baby shrimp. Very cool!
below_radar_00
Larva
Larva

Post by below_radar_00 »

Just noticed ANOTHER berried shrimp. So I have three berried right now. The would-be fourth berried shrimp hatched her little guys last week and they are bobbing around the water still. I'm amazed that this little one gallon tank has that many berried shrimp. I imagine I'll have some 80 shrimp in this 1 gallon by this time next month. Sounds like I may need to look at transferring some next month. What do you guys think? I know that hundreds could probably live in a one gallon but for a home setup is that really healthy without filtration? Seems like they'll run out of food or their feces will overrun the tank. I have 10 or so snails in the tank from Mustafa but I wonder if 10 snails can really clean up after 80 shrimp properly.