Found a dead shrimp, should I be worried?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Carolina
Shrimp
Shrimp

Found a dead shrimp, should I be worried?

Post by Carolina »

Hi,
Today I found a dead shrimp on tank #1.... Completely out of the blue....
The tank is doing amazing, it's reproducing non stop, in fact I just found another berried momma today, the Larvae and juvies are all surviving and doing great, mommas are not dropping eggs... Water is clean, no algae issues...
I am at a loss... There has been no other deaths...
Should I worry?
Mech
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Found a dead shrimp, should I be worried?

Post by Mech »

Shrimps do just seem to die for no apparent reason, if you loose one in its own I wouldn't worry. Just test ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and SG. If all is ok then you just have to chalk it down to an issue with that particular shrimp I'm afraid.
Carolina
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Carolina »

No more problems, thank goodness... MaybeMaybe he was just old.... Who knows? RIP little one :cry:
mcdaney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mcdaney »

Yeah probably died of old age. :( RIP o' wise one.
I wonder how old it is....
NYCShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by NYCShrimp »

Not that my tank is well established by any means, but it had been doing VERY well following my emergency water change. Just recently, I've had a shrimp who is stuck in a molt, and is dying. So sad about this because every single one survived after I took emergency measures, and now this :(

I think these things just happen sometimes, and it's amazing you have such a thriving tank!
Carolina
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Carolina »

NYCShrimp wrote:Not that my tank is well established by any means, but it had been doing VERY well following my emergency water change. Just recently, I've had a shrimp who is stuck in a molt, and is dying. So sad about this because every single one survived after I took emergency measures, and now this :(

I think these things just happen sometimes, and it's amazing you have such a thriving tank!
HI! :smt006
My tank is thriving.... NOW! But it has been through hell before it got here! Now yes.... It's doing wonderful, so wonderful I can become a breeder :D
My other tank is getting there.... It's situation was awful... I lost most of my life stock in the beginning, had to start over a couple of times.... Now the only problem I have is a snail infestation from a cyanobacteria problem (they reproduced to clean it up). Aside from that, everything is well too! I will re-escape it toto add more hiding space.... It has helped my other tank with reproduction. Good luck!
NYCShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by NYCShrimp »

Yeah...I was so surprised and sad when I had 5 shrimp randomly die about a month ago, because I had lurked on the discussion forum for months and thought I had done everything right. Pretty sure it is because I may have had some residual cleaning chemical on my hands when I went to adjust the heater that had popped loose.

I just bought a larger, all-glass tank, so I'm hoping the upgrade helps them through the winter. I'll buy more shrimp if the tank still seems to be doing well when the weather gets a little warmer!