Eggshells for Calcium Carbonate

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

shrimpies
Egg
Egg

Eggshells for Calcium Carbonate

Post by shrimpies »

I just ordered some Opae Ula. My tank has been cycling for about a month now. I am wondering how much egg shell to add to my 1 gallon tank. Thank you!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Eggshells for Calcium Carbonate

Post by Mustafa »

I'd add at least half of an entire egg.
Flare
Egg
Egg

Post by Flare »

Hello, I just recently joined the forum and apologize for necro bumping but I had a question pertaining to the use of egg shells in opae tank- Do you only need to add the egg shells once and let them dissolve away and no longer need to add anymore calcium to the tank ? Or after awhile will you have to add more egg shells in to supplement the calcium? My current thoughts are that since I added the calcium once and I will only be topping off the tank I won't need to anymore since like the salt, it will remain in the tank unless I perform a water change . (and would you say that one whole egg shell would be enough for a 2.5g? , or would I need 1 1/2 eggs? ) Thanks very much!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Eggs shells need a long time to dissolve and be "used up" by biological processes, so I'd only add another one once the structural integrity of the shell is gone. As for calcium carbonate being like "salt" in the water...it doesn't work that way. Organism and nitrification itself uses up carbonates and calcium. The carbonate turns into CO2 at some point and escapes... If you don't want to deal with replacing an egg shell I'd recommend getting some other more permanent form of calcium carbonate like limestone, sea shells/oyster shells, or crushed coral.
fredanddino
Egg
Egg

Post by fredanddino »

Hello again,

it it good enough to cook the eggshell (egg), in order to get rid of any bacteria?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

You don't have to cook it. Just wash it and let it dry. That's it. Whatever bacteria are left will be eaten by the shrimp anyway. That's their food after all. :)
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

Mustafa wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:21 am You don't have to cook it. Just wash it and let it dry. That's it. Whatever bacteria are left will be eaten by the shrimp anyway. That's their food after all. :)
If I choose to use an eggshell, should I introduce it after my shrimp in order to prevent a bacterial bloom (them eating the bacteria right away), or should I introduce it prior to the shrimp to ensure a healthy amount of food? :?
crittersni
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by crittersni »

I've been curious about egg shells, too. Do they float? Does anyone have pics showing the egg shell in the tank?

I have a bubbler in my tank. Will that help with bad gases in the tank?
shrimpnoobie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpnoobie »

crittersni wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:34 pm I've been curious about egg shells, too. Do they float? Does anyone have pics showing the egg shell in the tank?

This is my tank with an eggshell in it. As you can see it does not float (I did not put the sand in the egg, when I added the water the sand floated in there, but I don’t think it wouldn’t float either way). It’s been in there’s for about a month while my tank cycles, and I’m actually short on algae it seems so no bloom for me!
Attachments
646CABF8-13CF-49BB-96FA-D98FE4B9EF4C.jpeg
D6FF3321-5519-480F-A81A-0E1CD66397B6.jpeg
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

shrimpnoobie wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 5:42 am
crittersni wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:34 pm I've been curious about egg shells, too. Do they float? Does anyone have pics showing the egg shell in the tank?

This is my tank with an eggshell in it. As you can see it does not float (I did not put the sand in the egg, when I added the water the sand floated in there, but I don’t think it wouldn’t float either way). It’s been in there’s for about a month while my tank cycles, and I’m actually short on algae it seems so no bloom for me!

Your tank is so beautiful.... I'm always in awe of your pictures!! :smt007
crittersni
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by crittersni »

Thank you for the pictures. I guess my shrimp will soon be checking out an egg shell. :D
shrimpnoobie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpnoobie »

Flippers wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 6:55 am
shrimpnoobie wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 5:42 am

Your tank is so beautiful.... I'm always in awe of your pictures!! :smt007
Thank you that's extremely kind! Just tried to provide the most natural house for my shrimp (-:
shrimpnoobie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpnoobie »

crittersni wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:49 am Thank you for the pictures. I guess my shrimp will soon be checking out an egg shell. :D
Cool! Let me know how they react. I have not introduced my shrimp yet into my tank, but my snails (Mustafa's) have no interest in eggs apparently, haha. Good luck.