shrimp without legs!!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

fredanddino
Egg
Egg

shrimp without legs!!

Post by fredanddino »

Hello everybody,

Today I found, that my shrimp would not eat, like they used to.

Looking closely, I saw, that some (in fact a lot) of them have NO GRABBING LEGS, sometimes no "front feet (Walking legs)".
What could be the reasons? what can I do?

- I saw one shrimp being caught in the filter. I helped it out and saw, that the feet were damaged. But I doubt, that it happened to all the others too.
- We got a new floor 2 weeks ago, so I had to move the shrimp - could it be failured molding due to stress?
- also the craftsmen did sprinkle some paint into my Aquarium. I think, very minimal, but maybe that was toxic. But I did not use most of the water, but I had to use the filter.
- my filters went red some days ago. this happened before, I do not know the reason, but last time, it did not affect the shrimp. maybe the Color Comes from dying algae, because I had to move the Lava rocks when we got the new floor in order to move the Aquarium ?

- could it be the salt water? I use the same salt for some years, before, I used to Change it in order to get all the micro-elements.maybe its a lack of anything?

I am desperate, because my shrimp are in the Aquarium since 2011 and they reproduced so well since then. but now, this is a catastrophy.

I just watched a berried shrimp without mandibules and "front feet", it is horrible.

Can anyone help, please?
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: shrimp without legs!!

Post by Ace »

Get rid of the filter and consider a %100 water change. Why do you have your colony open to the air?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Never underestimate how vulnerable shrimp are to chemical toxins, the fact that any paint got into the tank at all is a big red flag.
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Ace »

I can not agree more. Do a %100 water change.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, do as large a water change as possible.....
fredanddino
Egg
Egg

Post by fredanddino »

Thanks for your advices.

I bought seawater at a local store (mixed to the right level) and changed as much water as possible.
I also used a new filter and activated carbon.

But the damage is big. Nearly all the shrimp molded during the last days.
Most of them are harmed, having no antennae or short ones, no walking feet or no grabbing feet.

I saw one shrimp that had problems molding, it was terrible.

Since Ace wrote 100% water change (which was not possible) - I think I should change the water during the next days several times.

But what about the Lava rocks and the gravel?

Since I don't know how many dead shrimp are under the rocks, I should take a look and get them out of the system.
But this would mean extra stress to the remaining shrimp.

--------------------------------------

The Aquarium has a cover and it was covered with plastic while the craftsmen where here. But the filters and some extra shrimp were in a smaller one in the bathroom (to be "safe" in case that the "master aquarium" breaks, which was my main worry at that time, because we had to move it) and there it must have happened. The bathroom was "taboo", but you know, they didnt take it very serious as I had to realize, when I came back home. But of course, it is my fault.

What can I say, it is the most terrible thing, that could have happened. I am devastated.
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

I think you need to get rid of the filter. Find a cover for the tank, and then leave them alone. The more you change the water, the more frequently they may try to molt, which is not good for them right now. They need to heal.
Since you already changed the water, please take the filter out. There is a good chance it is harming the shrimp.
It is very important to remove dead shrimp as soon as you can. If that requires moving a lot of rocks around to look, you still need to do it.
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Ace »

JennyPenny is absolutely correct. I do want to add that provided you have changed %100 of the water first, then she is so right about not doing anything else. Remove that filter and cover the water.

I am so sorry for your loss. It's very sad. :(
fredanddino
Egg
Egg

Post by fredanddino »

thanks again for all your help!

I did a big water change (as big as possible), removed dead shrimp (and lots of excuviaes), removed the filter but still have the active carbon inside.

I will take your advice and now just watch them and try not to disturb them with any more water changes.

I tested the water just for the NO2 1 week ago (after we moved everything back in place) and it was absolutely okay. So I wonder, why the NO3 seems to be so high. I will buy another test tomorrow.
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

Thanks to you I learned a new word today: excuviaes.
There is no need to remove the molts/exoskeletons/excuviaes. The shrimp will scavenge these for nutrients, and doing this is in fact quite beneficial for them. In the future, leave the molts in the tank.
Good job on the water change and removing dead shrimp. I don't think the carbon will help much, but it's there now and I think you should not disturb this tank unless you need to remove a dead shrimp.
Please keep us updated. I am really hoping your tank turns around and your shrimp make it.
fredanddino
Egg
Egg

Post by fredanddino »

and I learned those 2 words: molts/exoskeletons :D (since english isn't my mother tongue..)

Yesterday I did set up a new tank and transfered a part of the shrimp there.

I also did a big water change in the old tank, since I didn´t know, which option was better. I also lifted all the rocks and looked under the gravel to remove dead shrimp.

But whereas the shrimp in the new set up tank seemed to be fine, the ones in the old tank seemed not to do so well.

So today I transfered ALL the shrimp to the new tank. time will tell, if this was the right decision.

Since I do not know, if paint is the real reason or maybe dying algae due to the rearrangement of the lava rocks, or maybe feeding too much, it's all guessing. Today ocurred another idea: maybe the water salinity is too high. It was 1.020 for a long time now. I used to have about 1.012-1.018.

But would this really lead to such a sudden mass extinction and mass deformation? I doubt it.

I will keep you updated
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

The new tank set up is probably for the best as I think the old tank has too many unknown negative factors going on; the benefits of the beneficial bacteria has been far outweigh by the negatives.

Good luck and best wishes to you and your shrimps! Hope they like their new home and recuperate well.
fredanddino
Egg
Egg

Post by fredanddino »

thank you!
fredanddino
Egg
Egg

Post by fredanddino »

finally a picture. could it also be parasites? The guy in the petshop brought this idea up.
Attachments
IMG_20170327_114930.jpg
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

It's not parasites. This species does not have any known parasites or diseases (part of why they are "Supershrimp"). It looks like it was clearly your water. The shrimp that were too damaged by it will die and some may survive, that's just the way it is. Just have patience. Measuring anything won't help you at all right now. Just don't do it.

Also, it's "exuviae". :)