combating cynobacteria

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

dolfanjack
Egg
Egg

combating cynobacteria

Post by dolfanjack »

I have quite a bit of bluegreen algea that's making the cylinder look very messy. I have had the cylinder set up since Oct. and have had the Opae since Feb. 8th. Do the shrimp eat the cyno? How can I get rid of it when it's best not to do water changes. I also have a horned nirite snail, but it doesn't touch the stuff. Thanks ,Jack
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: combating cynobacteria

Post by Ace »

Obviously, some of the nutrients do get depleted from the water. While, the shrimpies can live in the same water for years, I feel like water changes would have to be better for their health.

I believe they do eat the Cyanobacteria. But if it bothers you enough, you can remove it. There is no reason for things to be ugly. That's what I say. :)

However, when in doubt, its best to leave them alone.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: combating cynobacteria

Post by Mustafa »

Ace wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:19 am While, the shrimpies can live in the same water for years, I feel like water changes would have to be better for their health.
Nope. :) There is absolutely no evidence for that. Quite the opposite. You can ask my still alive and reproducing shrimp in the tanks that haven't had water changes in over 10 years. Nothing gets depleted, everything is fine.

As for the cyanobacteria...shrimp and especially snails will eat it. Just don't feed anything anymore until the cyanobacteria are gone. And yes, if it forms sheets on the tank walls or on the ground you can always remove it.