green shrimps

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Shroitaka
Egg
Egg

green shrimps

Post by Shroitaka »

hi,
i was just wondering if anyone here raise green shrimps and are they hard to breed? how can you tell the gender apart? i have 8 adults in my 10 gals right now, but none of them seem to have eggs. i also have 4 red cherry (1 male and 3 females), and one is developing eggs right now.

thnx,
Jason
Sami
Egg
Egg

Re: green shrimps

Post by Sami »

Shroitaka wrote:hi,
i was just wondering if anyone here raise green shrimps and are they hard to breed? how can you tell the gender apart? i have 8 adults in my 10 gals right now, but none of them seem to have eggs. i also have 4 red cherry (1 male and 3 females), and one is developing eggs right now.

thnx,
Jason
I bought some green shrimps, Caridina cf. babulti var "green", some months ago and ever since the females have been carrying eggs which have every time, after been carried for a month, turned into little baby-shrimps. I have done nothing special, than feeding them with a variety of different kind of foods.
It seems that I've 1 male and 4 females. The genders can be told apart the same way as red cherries.
samosette
Egg
Egg

Post by samosette »

How do you tell the sex for red cherries? (besides the female when she has eggs?) Same goes for Indian Algae shrimps or rainbows? I would really like to start breeding some of the easier shrimps to breed. (maybe start a local trade or whatever) What are the easiest shrimps to breed? what other shrimps breed like the cherries? How bout crystal shrimps? (perferably shrimps which dont require brackish water for their babies.)
Thanks.
doublefake
Egg
Egg

Post by doublefake »

I have tens of Caridina cf. babulti in my tank. However, most of them are brownish rather than green. They are around 3 months old and some of them are carrying eggs. I can not tell difference between the male (those do not carry eggs) or female (those do carry eggs), there seems no apparent color difference between them, as Red Cherry Shrimps do. But I am not sure those not carrying eggs are males, just guess.
Sami
Egg
Egg

Post by Sami »

Aww... only proper site I could find is in german - hope you don't mind :wink: I can assist you if necessary.

Süsswassergarnalen - eine übersicht

Instructions:
1. Open up the link
2. Don't mind the text you most likely don't understand
3. Scroll down until you get to an image of a crystal red, with title 'Crystal red - männchen' - that's a male
4. Scroll a little bit further until you get to another pic of crystal red, with title 'Crystal red - weibchen' - that's a female

Also, a female gets eggs under it's back - in some cases it looks like a saddle.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: green shrimps

Post by Mustafa »

Shroitaka wrote:hi,

thnx,
Jason
I have green shrimp. They breed just a profically as any other shrimp but they are more sensitive to water parameters than N. denticulata sinensis. So are their hatchlings, which can die off right after hatching if the water is not quite right.

If you keep them in a large, well-planted tank you should not have problems with water parameters. As sad as it is...you were probably sold females only since it's pretty rare to see males in dealer's tanks. So...if you never get any ovigerous females...that's why.

Mustafa
Shroitaka
Egg
Egg

Post by Shroitaka »

do can u tell the difference between male and female?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Of course you can tell the difference between males and females. Males are smaller, leaner and are more "see-through" green than the females. The females' carapace hangs down more in the abdominal area to be able to carry eggs and you can see the green aggs in the females' ovaries shine through the carapace in the neck area ("saddle"). Having said that, most likely you will be getting all females when you buy imported green shrimp though.