Looking for tank decoration advice: new to this!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

BrooklynCritter
Egg
Egg

Looking for tank decoration advice: new to this!

Post by BrooklynCritter »

I'm new to keeping shrimp, but have been having (so far) good luck with a tank that I set up in a 1 gal glass jar containing marimos and some black sea fan. I had some cholla wood in there that she shrimp really seemed to enjoy sitting on, but on the advice of these forums I removed it, and am trying to find something else that would add some height to my tank and give the shrimp some cool spaces to hang out and explore.

I'm curious what people would recommend as safe/healthy decorative elements for a newbie's tank? I've been looking at stone and coral at different aquarium supply places, but have to admit that I'm not really sure what I should be looking for. I would like to start setting up a second tank with a little more visual interest (for me) and range of surfaces (for the shrimp).

Any suggestions, advice, or pointers to threads where this may have already been discussed would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Looking for tank decoration advice: new to this!

Post by Varanus »

I would assume most any decorations that don't alter water chemistry or risk releasing toxins would be just fine for a supershrimp tank.
jcfrank922
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by jcfrank922 »

I added a black lava rock and some sea shells to my 1.5 gallon tank. They seem to like the lava rock, as it is found in their natural Hawaiian habitat.
fullsizeoutput_469.jpeg
Keystone
Larva
Larva

Post by Keystone »

Looks good!
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Ace »

I recommend reading the Nanosphere 9 post.