No babies yet

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Linda's supershrimp
Egg
Egg

No babies yet

Post by Linda's supershrimp »

My tank was up for 6 weeks before my super shrimp came months ago. I had algae growth. I have 9 left. (One died at the transfer from the bag at arrival.) I have a thick coat of algae. I know when they feed because it disappears in holes. I have had a few molts but no babies. I have a great LED light on for 12 hours. I only used premixed salt water from the fish store & RO water. I don't use the filter & no heater. I have a lava rock & calcium source. There is a tunnel between the rocks. I see them come & go. Do I need more tunnels? I could put in a chichlid plastic rock with a cave if you think that would help. Also, I don't see all of them out at once. Is that normal or did I loose a few where I can't see?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: No babies yet

Post by Varanus »

Its perfectly normal for a fair proportion of the shrimp to be hidden at any given time, its one reason why its recommended to get a good number of them to start with, so you're guaranteed to see them a lot even before they start breeding.

As for adding more hiding places, it should be fine either way. The shrimp seem to like having lots of surfaces to explore, hide in, and scrub on for food, but there isn't really a specific amount that they need to thrive (some keep them in barren tanks no problem for instance).