Have 8-year Old Ecosystem Shrimp - Not sure what to do

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Have 8-year Old Ecosystem Shrimp - Not sure what to do

Post by SuperProofer »

Noraelle - Another tip: Depending on how big the tank is you're dealing with, a pair of 12" metal tongs (like giant tweezers!) are really helpful with the decorating. The two jars I'm using have very narrow openings at the top, so I had to use the tongs to get everything situated and placed at the bottom. It was like building a ship in a bottle! LOL

Plus, once the water is in, it will allows you to put things in or get things out if you need to without sticking your hand in the tank! :)
Noraelle
Larva
Larva

Post by Noraelle »

What a coincidence! I just got my 10 inch tweezer today. I didn't order the 12 inch one because both my old jar and my new one are pretty short. I just got my materials today so will probably set it up in the next day or so. Just out of curiosity, did you purchase any snails? I'm trying to do without for now as I'm worried about snails competing for food and producing too much waste.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

No, I haven't done snails. My jars are so small, I don't want anything else in there and taking up space (plus it seems they have a tendency to multiply). Also, the minimum order is 10 - that's too many for my jars. I'm just going to be patient... Hard as that is. :wink:
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

You are right and I wouldn't recommend snails for the size of you jars. I once had a similar-sized jar ecosphere and the snail didn't do well in it.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

How many shrimp did it have? Did they do all right in the smaller container? Did it have an open top?
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Update: 1.5 weeks into cycling and that "light dusty film" on the surface has turned into a thicker, more noticeable film in both jars. Still no tinges of green anywhere yet.

But I've already had 3 people tell me they want one too. I told them I have to make sure these ones work first! Lol
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Little Black Specs

Question - I am 2 weeks in to cycling my jar tanks. Today, I noticed one little black spec floating in the surface film of each jar. Just one in each. Almost like someone put them there (I have no kids and my husband knows better than to mess with my tanks - LOL). Anyways, my jars create quite a significant magnification effect, so the specs were easy to see (I didn't notice them this AM when I looked, but they were there in the early evening - I may be a bit obsessive with my monitoring. :wink: ) I was able to pull them out. But, once they were out, I could see that they were almost microscopic. Like super miniaturized versions of the seeds on a strawberry.

Any ideas what they might be (sorry, they were too small to take pictures once they were out, and I didn't want to put them back in just for that)? I suppose it could just be some sort of dust and coincidental that each jar had just one spec. I'm not going say it would be impossible for debris to get inside, but I have cork lids askew on them so the openings are 1/4 of the actual size of the jar mouths; it would be tough.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Captain's Log: Star Date - 3 weeks in...

No real noticeable change. Biofilm still filming. Rainbow streaks still streaking. No visible changes to the aquascape. I guess it's true what they say - a watched tank never cycles. /heavy sigh

Trooper seems to be holding his own in his sphere for now. He even unexpectedly molted 2 days ago (I made another thread for that). I haven't decided which tank to put him in - the small one for the 5 shrimp or the larger one which will have 10. He's been alone for so long I don't know if he's craving socialization or if he'll be one of the "Darn kids! Get off my lawn!" shrimp. Apparently, I still have time to think on it.

And so here I sit. Waiting patiently. Patiently waiting... well, waiting anyways.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

3.5 weeks in: I have visible algae sign! Brownish-green spots on the shell surface in the larger jar that are very noticeable (now that I compare it to an earlier picture and realize they weren't there before! I guess I'm not as observant as I thought. LOL). The smaller jar seems to be a little slower to grow but I do see some very faint light brown spots on the shell in there and maybe even the sand. I think they might be ready for shrimp!

I might just go get a test kit for the ammonia/nitrate/nitrites just to be certain since I didn't use any other live critters or moss to cycle with. But if it all checks out, I think I'll try to order my shrimpies this weekend!

On the whole... Yay!! :D
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Awesome, hope it all goes smoothly.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Houston, I have a problem.

Tested both jars tonight (bought a drop test kit). Got the following results:

Large jar (0.25 gal)
- Ammonia = 1ppm
- Nitrites = 0ppm
- Nitrates = 0ppm

Small jar (2 cups)
- Ammonia = 0ppm
- Nitrites = 0ppm
- Nitrates = 0ppm

So it seems like the little jar is just right but the larger jar has an ammonia issue. Can't understand why though. Nothing living in either yet although the larger jar has more visible algae. The only real difference between them is the larger one has the sea fan skeleton and lava rock. Both of which I rinsed/boiled thoroughly.

Question is: what do I do about it? I am a assuming 1ppm in such a small space would be terribly detrimental to the shrimp. But I don't have (or want, due to their limited size) any algae or snails in there to help with the process. I also assume this isn't something I can just wait out. I know there's stuff you can buy to help dissipate it, but I was trying to stick with Mustafa's "no muss, no fuss" au naturale cycling process.

Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks!
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Actually, waiting it out is a perfectly viable option. Try waiting a week and testing again, its likely that the ammonia will be reduced or down to undetectable levels. Recall that algae as well as bacteria consume toxins in the tank.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Hmmmmm, not something I'd considered. Then this is what I shall do!

Fingers crossed.

Thanks!!
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Hrmph - so I waited a week and re-tested the water again. I'd say the ammonia has gotten worse. :( Where last time, the test was middling between 0.5 and 1.0 (I erred on the high side of caution and said 1); today it's looking middling between the 1.0 and 2.0! The other, smaller tank is still fine at 0. So frustrating! Why are they different?

So, do I keep waiting? Should I try some of that ammonia reducer they sell in the store or do a partial water change? The tank is starting to get over run with brown algae spots on the glass, shell and sand. I don't want it to look like Trooper's nasty ecosphere before I even get any shrimps in there - I'm hoping they are able to devour what's in there currently, provided I can get the ammonia under control. :cry:

Halp!! Any advice is appreciated.

*PS - in case it's of any interest, I'm using the API Marine, Saltwater Master Test kit (drops)
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Well it is normal for ammonia readings to rise during cycling, only to fall down to safe levels later and this can take a few weeks. It does seem like one tank must have somehow gotten a bigger ammonia source than the other. But the algae growth is good, the algae will feed on toxins and over time decrease, especially once shrimp are in there to eat it. Also until it decreases a good deal then you won't need to even try to feed the shrimp.

Indeed, Mustafa has said that good algae growth is a good way to tell the tank is ready for shrimp. Admittedly I would still worry about the ammonia, but its likely your survivor has had to deal with worse than is in the new tank. Maybe you could test the ecosphere's water and see how it compares?