Setting up brackish tank?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

ThisGuy
Larva
Larva

Setting up brackish tank?

Post by ThisGuy »

:-D I've wanted to start a brackish tank but, I don't know how. Can I have some help :?:
JoanToBa
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Setting up brackish tank?

Post by JoanToBa »

1. Buy reef salt (not aquarium or table salt). Per example instant reef.
2. Put approximately 15 grams per liter of reef salt
3. Add an aragonite or crushed coral substrate
4. Add rocks (i personally prefer reef rocks).

DO NOT ADD ANY KIND OF ROCKS ASK IN THE FORUM BEFORE IF IT CAN BE ADDED!

5. Add plants (optional)
6. Cycle the tank 4-8 weeks (until algae has appeared and ammonia is down)
7. Add shrimp and enjoy
DrKirk
Larva
Larva

Post by DrKirk »

Follow the instructions on this site and you’ll have no problem: https://www.petshrimp.com/set-up-a-supe ... tructions/.
ThisGuy
Larva
Larva

Post by ThisGuy »

Thanks! What can be kept with the supershrimp?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

ThisGuy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:30 pm Thanks! What can be kept with the supershrimp?
Not much, the very spartan conditions these shrimp prefer are pretty inhospitable to most other creatures. Mustafa's snails are the only creatures I know of that do well in every set up. Under certain conditions you can keep a nerite or brackish-acclimated hermit crab with them. The supershrimp make up for the lack of variety in being very active and entertaining shrimp.

There is also a larger species of shrimp that is found in the same habitat, but they are not available captive bred as far as I know so its best not to get them.
ThisGuy
Larva
Larva

Post by ThisGuy »

Varanus wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:33 am
ThisGuy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:30 pm Thanks! What can be kept with the supershrimp?
Not much, the very spartan conditions these shrimp prefer are pretty inhospitable to most other creatures. Mustafa's snails are the only creatures I know of that do well in every set up. Under certain conditions you can keep a nerite or brackish-acclimated hermit crab with them. The supershrimp make up for the lack of variety in being very active and entertaining shrimp.

There is also a larger species of shrimp that is found in the same habitat, but they are not available captive bred as far as I know so its best not to get them.
What about hermit crabs?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

ThisGuy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:57 pmWhat about hermit crabs?
Some people have reported some success with keeping one or two small aquatic hermit crabs with the shrimp (those tiny blue legged ones I think), I haven't tried it so I can't offer much more info except to say that it seems quite often the hermit crab's bigger appetite causes issues with the very low maintenance needs of the shrimp.
ThisGuy
Larva
Larva

Post by ThisGuy »

Varanus wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:47 pm
ThisGuy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:57 pmWhat about hermit crabs?
Some people have reported some success with keeping one or two small aquatic hermit crabs with the shrimp (those tiny blue legged ones I think), I haven't tried it so I can't offer much more info except to say that it seems quite often the hermit crab's bigger appetite causes issues with the very low maintenance needs of the shrimp.
Thanks! I remember them being called ‟hawain left-handed blue leg‟