Is my shrimp finally saddled?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Is my shrimp finally saddled?

Post by Super Jess »

After 2 years, I think my shrimp might finally be making eggs! Is it a saddle? Please say yes!
Attachments
Saddled Opae - Copy.JPG
JoanToBa
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Is my shrimp finally saddled?

Post by JoanToBa »

Sorry but nope.
If it was indeed saddled you'd see red balls in the rear part where small legs they use to swim.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

JoanToBa wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:00 pm Sorry but nope.
If it was indeed saddled you'd see red balls in the rear part where small legs they use to swim.
I think you mean "berried" there, right? Saddled is referring to being able to see the eggs developing inside the shrimp's body.
JoanToBa
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoanToBa »

Oh yep, I meant berried, i thought saddled meant the same
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Yes, I meant I hope those are eggs on the inside :D
shrimpy4
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpy4 »

I believe they are, mostly that area where it starts out onto the tail and a bit under the carapace. I’ve had mine stay saddled for a very long time until they decide the time is right to start breeding. Fingers crossed yours do soon.
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

shrimpy4 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:32 am I’ve had mine stay saddled for a very long time until they decide the time is right to start breeding.
Thanks, shrimpy4! I was wondering if it was a saddle how long it would be until she pops the eggs out. Now I won't obsess (as much) :-D
Last edited by Super Jess on Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
JoeG
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoeG »

Shrimpy4 - when you say 'a very long time' approximately how long was it? Weeks, months, year?? Do you remember doing anything differant that actually got them to berry?
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

JoeG wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:04 am Shrimpy4 - when you say 'a very long time' approximately how long was it? Weeks, months, year?? Do you remember doing anything different that actually got them to berry?
This is a great followup question that I also have :lol:
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

I have same experience as Shrimpy4. Saddled shrimp doesn't mean they'll be berried right away, and I know we all wish for it but there isn't any specific timeline. I've had saddled shrimp for over a year waiting for the right tank conditions (in my case it was the filter). The good news is once your have stable conditions, the breeding will continue.
shrimpy4
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpy4 »

Ya, my average was a year after I moved them into my 5 gallon tank. I had a dwarf hermit I stopped feeding regularly (every 3-4 days) and went to feeding every 2-3 weeks. Unfortunately, the hermit died but the shrimp started breeding like crazy.

A few months later I had my big die off, most likely the heater I installed or maybe some chemical contamination from when I was installing it.

It’s been over a month since that crisis and water changeC and they’re back to berrying and breeding.
ThisGuy
Larva
Larva

Post by ThisGuy »

Most likely.
shrimpy4
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpy4 »

Also forgot to mention, when I see berried shrimp I avoid feeding at all. I think I’ve found that the hustle and bustle of them fighting over the food pellet causes berried shrimp to be more likely to drop.
ThisGuy
Larva
Larva

Post by ThisGuy »

shrimpy4 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:34 pm Also forgot to mention, when I see berried shrimp I avoid feeding at all. I think I’ve found that the hustle and bustle of them fighting over the food pellet causes berried shrimp to be more likely to drop.
Same, through my expereince with cherrys they rarely drop but with feeding 90% of them drop.
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

That is a good tip! I'm looking forward to being able to use it.