New way to top off and not scared shrimp

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

New way to top off and not scared shrimp

Post by Erlina _rusli »

Hey all
Just found for myself a new way to top off , i know i i could do dripping method if the evaporation is way too much. But my dripping hose only for my freshwater shrimps.
I put the distilled water in my sprayer bottle and it is of course clean sprayer and i can spread the water slowly on top of the tank without freaking out the shrimps and the larvaes!
And ...yayyy!
I found 2 more berried shrimps today and today they swimming around actively and give me a pleasure to watch them swimming around, usually they just on the sand and picking up food.

Hope this a good info to know, just sharing :)
Happy shrimping
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: New way to top off and not scared shrimp

Post by Mustafa »

The shrimp "freaking" out doesn't really harm them though. They'll settle down after a while and all is good.
Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Erlina _rusli »

Oh good to know ! I always afraid they would die because of the water is pure freshwater....
Thanks
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Erlina _rusli wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:43 am Oh good to know ! I always afraid they would die because of the water is pure freshwater....
Thanks
That's the thing about brackish water animals. Due to tides, river flows (or in the case of the shrimp, heavy rainfall) they have to be able to withstand nearly completely freshwater conditions at times. Its this ability that unfortunately causes many brackish water animals to be sold as freshwater ones (like the so-called freshwater moray eel) to people who don't realize that while it may take weeks or months sustained freshwater conditions will kill them.

For the supershrimp I'd say the water you add to the tank mixes quickly enough to not cause any harm.