Extra Support on Tank Floor?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Extra Support on Tank Floor?

Post by SuperProofer »

Hello Shrimps and Shrimpettes!

I'm getting ready to start putting together the new tank for my bedside nightstand. I bought a 2.5 gal (10L) glass nano cube. In reading the instructions (because I have a compulsive need to read the instructions on anything I buy, even an empty fish tank. LOL), I notice that it says "When placing stones on bed, a PVC or acrylic glass panel of at least 1/8" thick should be fitted over the base pane to prevent cracking". I don't plan on using stones or heavy rocks - just the normal sandy substrate, maybe a lava rock or two and some shells, etc.

Has anyone else encountered this and do you think I actually need to go out and have a piece of acrylic cut to lay at the bottom? Seems to me, if you build a fish tank, it should be sturdy enough to support items one would commonly find in said fish tank, no??

Thanks!
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Extra Support on Tank Floor?

Post by i<3Opae »

Maybe that specific instruction is for fall-related cracks? Not sure why it would be necessary...
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

It seems as if they are worried that the weight on the glass might cause it to crack or leak. Not sure if an inch of sand and the rest of the decor is enough to matter (of course, you have to take the water weight into account).
Last edited by SuperProofer on Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mike.d »

SuperProofer wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:34 pm"When placing stones on bed, a PVC or acrylic glass panel of at least 1/8" thick should be fitted over the base pane to prevent cracking"
I read that too. But I also read that it's more of a precaution and definitely not necessary. The main concern is the heavy rocks will scratch the glass. The scratch creates a weak point, which can break due to the weight of all the water pressing down on it.

I'd only worry about it if I had fish that could dig into the substrate and move things around. Even then, the glass on the bottom of tanks is tempered and won't break or scratch easily.

As for acrylic... Yes buy some and have it cut. It makes a great lid and cuts down on evaporation. I got mine from the local Home Depot/Lowes (hardware store).
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Great, thanks! Fortunately, the tank already comes with a lid. 😊