Fluval Edge questions

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Fluval Edge questions

Post by Super Jess »

I'm thinking about starting another tank, and I know some of you have your opae in a Fluval Edge setup. Could you share your likes and dislikes about these kits? I like the look of the tank, but I have seen numerous reports of condensation killing the built-in LED lights after several months.Has anyone here experienced this? I would not install the filter, of course, and I'm leaning toward a minimalist Iwagumi-ish style. Thanks for any insight you can offer! :-D
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Fluval Edge questions

Post by i<3Opae »

I have a 12 gallon Fluval edge so I hope I can answer some of your questions. I’ve had it for almost 2 years, LED is fine. I love everything about this tank, the invisible water line is a really nice feature. It’s large enough so you don’t have to worry about them ever getting too crowded (not for a long time at least). And I would recommend the landscape view. I have the vertical one and it’s great, but I learned with these little shrimp it’s easier to see with the horizontal setup. Plus the aquascaping would be much much easier on the landscape one. The filter is designed to be hidden in the cover, it’s very easy to take off or put on (in case you need it one day). They also have Fluval Edge in 6 gallon size, which one are you leaning towards? Either size would be a good size for opae ula.
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Thanks for your feedback--I'm glad to hear your lights are ok. I like the landscape view, too. The 6 gallon is the only landscape orientation I see for sale; although I did find some mention of a 19 gallon version being released several years ago I can't find it actually being sold anywhere now.

I especially like the way you can fill the tank up to the very top for the invisible water line you mentioned. The internet is full of pictures of cats sitting on top of the tank enclosure looking down at the fish :lol:

Have you had any problems with dust falling in through the screen stuff over the top?
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Super Jess wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:49 am Have you had any problems with dust falling in through the screen stuff over the top?
The screen cover is good at letting air in but not much else. :wink: I have cats but they don't seem interested in jumping on top, lol, which is good! I haven't seen reference to the 19 gallon capacity, that would be interesting! That'll be a HUGE floating tank.
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

The screen cover is good at letting air in but not much else.
Great! Sounds like a Fluval Edge is in my future :-D