Excess Calcium??

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Excess Calcium??

Post by Flippers »

I've been obsessing over the amount of calcium in my tank as the only source is currently aragonite sand. I've been touching base with a few users on the forum about the best sources of calcium. I can't find reasonably priced crushed coral in my area (strange...), but I did find a bag online that's affordable, though small. Limestone is another great source, I know, but I can't find any pieces at my local pet shops (they're just out of everything right now, apparently!! :lol: ). I know that shells are also a great source, but I'm worried about any residual bacteria on the shells I found at the beach...
Anyways, my quest for more calcium has led me to this question; can Opae Ulas be exposed to too much calcium? . When do we know when they have enough? Buffering for Opae Ula is very different than for my other fish... :smt005

Thanks in advance!!
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Excess Calcium??

Post by Super Jess »

Calcium will dissolve at the rate it is needed to buffer the tank, all by itself. As long as there is a source of calcium carbonate available, your tank will balance itself.

Aragonite as a substrate is an easy way to provide the calcium carbonate because aragonite IS calcium carbonate. It's the stuff that coral skeletons, shells, and pearls are made of, and dissolves easily before your water becomes acidic. It's also quite porous, and provides lots of tiny places for beneficial bacteria to grow.

Limestone rocks and actual pieces of coral skeleton are other sources of calcium carbonate that will work. If you are feeling fancy, it would be fun to try using pearls, but I think you would have to be very careful to make sure they were not dyed or treated in any way that could be harmful to the opae. Ok, now I'm tempted to try it :-D
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

Super Jess wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:40 pm Calcium will dissolve at the rate it is needed to buffer the tank, all by itself. As long as there is a source of calcium carbonate available, your tank will balance itself.

Aragonite as a substrate is an easy way to provide the calcium carbonate because aragonite IS calcium carbonate. It's the stuff that coral skeletons, shells, and pearls are made of, and dissolves easily before your water becomes acidic. It's also quite porous, and provides lots of tiny places for beneficial bacteria to grow.

Limestone rocks and actual pieces of coral skeleton are other sources of calcium carbonate that will work. If you are feeling fancy, it would be fun to try using pearls, but I think you would have to be very careful to make sure they were not dyed or treated in any way that could be harmful to the opae. Ok, now I'm tempted to try it :-D
Okay, awesome. Thank you! Do I ever need to add more calcium? I've been considering adding an eggshell :)
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Flippers wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:22 amOkay, awesome. Thank you! Do I ever need to add more calcium? I've been considering adding an eggshell :)
As I understand it, unless everything providing calcium dissolves into nothing and the calcium in the water is somehow removed, you shouldn't have to add more. Yes the shrimp and snails will use up tiny amounts, but it also gets recycled back into the tank when they die.