Starting a tank?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

DavidZ
Egg
Egg

Starting a tank?

Post by DavidZ »

Alright so these might sound like stupid question(s),

1:How would I actually start up the tank? As in, do I put in everything in like a dry run, and then just pour in the water? or, do sand, then water, then decor? like how do I start it?
2:How do I get an eggshell? Do I have to wash it first? Just a regular egg? or must I hard boil it? Do I have to vigorously clean it first from bacteria? or do I boil it (Just the shell)
3:Would I need two halves or just 1/2 of a shell? (My tank is 2 1/2 gallons)
4:Where could I get a top for my tank? As it came without one.
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY 5:How do I acclimate the shrimp and snails?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Starting a tank?

Post by Varanus »

To answer what I can:

1. Generally I put the sand and decor in first, then water, but it doesn't really matter. You may have to run a small filter for a few hours depending on how well-washed the sand was beforehand. Then remove the filter.

5. Provided the tank is cycled you don't need to acclimate them, as they are adapted to handle rapid changes. You can just put them right into the tank.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

If you're unsure or nervous about the egg shell, just use some regular old sea shells - just make sure to clean them first to eliminate any bio matter that may have collected in them. They are more aesthetically pleasing anyways. :)
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Also, I find it better to put all the decor in first before adding the water because it's easier to rearrange things and get it just right.
shrimpnoobie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpnoobie »

For the eggshell, just wash it with distilled water. No boiling needed. Half an egg for your tank is fine.
DavidZ
Egg
Egg

Post by DavidZ »

Thank You!
Would I put in the "Supershrimp macroalgae" before my tank has cycles to help it cycle? or would it grow out of control?
crittersni
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by crittersni »

Agreed for set-up. I recommend using a ladle or cup to slowly add the water so that your substrate stays in place. It will clear a lot faster. I didn't need a filter.

Then let it cycle for 2-3 weeks. When the shrimp arrive, place the whole bag of them in the water, in the bag. Let it float there for 2-3 hours to bring their water to the same temperature as the tank. Then open the bag and pour them in.

I do not have the microalgae or snails, so I can't advise you about them. Very knowledgeable and kind people on this site. They helped me a lot. Good luck.
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Toss in the macroalgae (and whatever water it comes with) at any point after filling your tank with the brackish solution. It will help your tank cycle.