sulphur smell in tank

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

robokirk
Egg
Egg

sulphur smell in tank

Post by robokirk »

Hello,

I am currently cycling a 1 gal tank. I just received a moss ball and macro algae last week and I jostled the water a bit and got a big wiff of sulphur. Is this related to the cycling or is there something wrong with my tank? For reference this is what I have in my tank, everything was carefully cleaned and dried before use:

1 gal jar
non living aquarium sand
coral skeleton
lava rock
couple of sea shells

The smell only occurred when I jostled the water, it isn't present any more, but I haven't shaken things up at all. I put the moss ball and macro algae in the tank Friday and they are all fine. Any one have any thoughts?
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: sulphur smell in tank

Post by Super Jess »

If the jostling also disturbed the substrate, you may have released gas buildup from small amounts of decomposing organic matter that hitched a ride on something in your tank. If you prepared your water in the manner suggested here, the smell is gone, and all else looks good, I'd go with the old supershrimp standby of inaction and waiting :)
robokirk
Egg
Egg

Post by robokirk »

I did follow that to the letter. When I jostled the tank a bit, air bubbles trapped in the substrate did come out. Sounds like those air bubbles are the source of the smell. 6/4 was 1 week since the water was set up, 6/8 will be one week with plants. So maybe 6/15 I will be about ready for shrimp if there is some algae growth?
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

robokirk wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:31 pm I did follow that to the letter. When I jostled the tank a bit, air bubbles trapped in the substrate did come out. Sounds like those air bubbles are the source of the smell. 6/4 was 1 week since the water was set up, 6/8 will be one week with plants. So maybe 6/15 I will be about ready for shrimp if there is some algae growth?
So 3 weeks for shrimp if algae?!? I waited 6 weeks and never saw any algae. Lots of biofilm. I introduced shrimps around the 7th or 8th week and the snails at 4 weeks
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Visible algae growth on surfaces is your definite green light for shrimp :)