To Cover or Not to Cover

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Dr. K
Egg
Egg

To Cover or Not to Cover

Post by Dr. K »

Hi All:

I am taking the plunge and starting my own Opae Ula tank. It is 2.5 gallons in size and has a tightly fitting glass lid. It will not have a filter. I am somewhat concerned about gas exchange. Should I keep the lid or ditch it? I would love to hear from anyone with a similar setup. Thanks!
Dr. K
Egg
Egg

Re: To Cover or Not to Cover

Post by Dr. K »

I think my question may be answered in an earlier post, "Iwagumi Low Profile Opaeula Tank Setup". Seems like I should be OK to use the cover. Sorry to retread something that is already posted. Thanks!
hardware_failure
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by hardware_failure »

My setup is covered and its VERY tight. Not quite air/water tight but very close.

Just keep in mind that if you keep your water level too close to the lid, you will likely get a ton of salt creep.
mcdaney
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mcdaney »

It's a good idea to cover your tank as it is filterless.
You won't want to see dust or fur (if you have a pet cat/dog) on the water surface and floating around in the water .

Welcome to the hobby! :-D
Dr. K
Egg
Egg

Post by Dr. K »

Thanks for the feedback. This is my first foray into a shrimp only tank but I have kept fish of various types for many years.

I am surprised about the mention of salt creep. I kept a saltwater tank years ago and dealt with it there but I would not have expected it on a small filterless tank. I will keep and eye on the water level and see what works to prevent it.

My order of macro algae shows up today...let the cycling begin!
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

mcdaney wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:23 am It's a good idea to cover your tank as it is filterless.
You won't want to see dust or fur (if you have a pet cat/dog) on the water surface and floating around in the water .

Welcome to the hobby! :-D
I have a cat. Will his hair harm the Opae Ulas? I have covers and weights on all of my fish tanks and I just ordered my first Opae Ulas... His hair gets into all of my tanks since he sits on them :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: but none of my fishies have ever been harmed. I understand that Opae Ulas are very different than aquatic fish, so I wanted to double check before they arrive! :-)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Excessive cat hair would simply be unsightly. It may cause long term problems as hair doesn't biodegrade immediately or quickly in general. I'd cover the tank.