Signs of spring

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Aennedry
Larva
Larva

Signs of spring

Post by Aennedry »

The snow is gone(yeah!!!), birds are out, grass is green, and the opae'ula are feeling frisky. Currently have three berried females and thirty larvae floating around. Go shrimp!
=^._.^=
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Signs of spring

Post by Mustafa »

Awesome! :D Take some pics or video!
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

Aennedry wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:47 am The snow is gone(yeah!!!), birds are out, grass is green, and the opae'ula are feeling frisky. Currently have three berried females and thirty larvae floating around. Go shrimp!
=^._.^=
Woohoo! Is there evidence that shrimp in captivity still keep with the spring breeding season "schedule"? I keep seeing posts about "spring coming" due to berried shrimp. If so, that's very cool as Mustafa's shrimp haven't been in the wild, with spring triggers, in 14 years!
Aennedry
Larva
Larva

Post by Aennedry »

I am not sure they follow cycles, being right near the equator seasons are pretty much the same. I have had berried shrimp in December. Pictures will come as soon as I find the little cable to hook the camera to the computer. It's around here somewhere... Things have changed a little since my last post. I cleaned the glass to take pictures, and this got everybody excited. So I was able to count five berried shrimp, two of them seriously packing, and three dozen larvae in various stages of development. It has been pretty much like this for a month now. I hope they are all making it, but with my two mountains of lava rocks for the babies to hide I won't get a good count for months. With so many little ones around I am hoping for color morphs!

=^._.^=
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

Aennedry wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:21 pm I am not sure they follow cycles, being right near the equator seasons are pretty much the same. I have had berried shrimp in December. Pictures will come as soon as I find the little cable to hook the camera to the computer. It's around here somewhere... Things have changed a little since my last post. I cleaned the glass to take pictures, and this got everybody excited. So I was able to count five berried shrimp, two of them seriously packing, and three dozen larvae in various stages of development. It has been pretty much like this for a month now. I hope they are all making it, but with my two mountains of lava rocks for the babies to hide I won't get a good count for months. With so many little ones around I am hoping for color morphs!

=^._.^=
Woohoo! How exciting. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oople
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Oople »

This is the first year I’ve noticed a spring rush. I’ve had continuous babies for the last three months. I need to go in and clean out some algae but there’s just too many floaters about.
0DB9DCCA-CC98-43A8-9312-1EC437899B53.jpeg
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I'm not aware of any "cycles" at all. My shrimp have larvae all year round.