Full Ocean Salinity (1.025 - 1.027)

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Fiore de'i Liberi
Egg
Egg

Full Ocean Salinity (1.025 - 1.027)

Post by Fiore de'i Liberi »

Can Opa Ula survive at Full Ocean Salinity (1.025 - 1.027)? I was thinking of adding a few to an already established salt water reef tank. There are no aggressive fish and plenty of places for them to hide.
Fiore de'i Liberi
Egg
Egg

Re: Full Ocean Salinity (1.025 - 1.027)

I also have a nano tank (15 gallon) with some mollys in it (1.011 salinity). I am thinking of getting 10 Opae Ula and slowly increase the salinity to that of the ocean over the course of 3-4 months. I am thinking maybe that would give the shrimp time to adjust?
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

No can, that’s why there is no opae ula in the ocean.
Fiore de'i Liberi
Egg
Egg

i<3Opae wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:20 pm No can, that’s why there is no opae ula in the ocean.
True, but isn't it possible that they just get out competed for resources in the ocean, eaten, stressed, or any number of other factors? Do you know if anyone else has tried?
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Full ocean salinity WILL kill them. Simply because they evolved to live in brackish water only. Metabetaeus lohena (so-called Alpha Opae Ula) also live in anchialine pools. Part of their life is spent in the open sea. So no, it's not like H. rubra also goes to the ocean and doesn't make it due to harsh environment. You can't undo evolution by adapting. :wink:
Fiore de'i Liberi
Egg
Egg

Lol. So maybe I will look into the Alphas. I was just curious about how adaptable they really are haha.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

I think even if you add the opae to your tank with mollies the opae would stay hidden. The mollies would probably pick on the opae. Right?
Fiore de'i Liberi
Egg
Egg

Vorteil wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:37 pm I think even if you add the opae to your tank with mollies the opae would stay hidden. The mollies would probably pick on the opae. Right?
I hear mixed results with shrimp and mollies. If they have enough algae and fish food they will focus down that. If there is not enough algae then they will quickly target shrimp.

Would be cool to get 10 Opae with some macro-algae and see what happens. I can't imagine the Opae breeding or the larvae surviving, but they would at least serve as a food source if nothing else.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Just don't do it. It's not going to work out. There are no "mixed results" with mollies and Supershrimp...the mollies will "take care" of them. Guaranteed. These are tiny shrimp...*any* fish out there will either eat them or harass them to death to a point where they won't come out at all if there are hiding places. These guys need their own setups.

Ocean salinity won't kill them, but not sure how well they'll do in the long run. Plus, why bother? Anyway, really bad idea.
Fiore de'i Liberi
Egg
Egg

Looking into other options, but for clarification...

The mollies are temporary inhabitants. The tank is semi-cycled but I am in the process of cycling some live rock. I would add the shrimp after the mollies are gone.

I want the shrimp to crawl into the super small crevices to eat any left over food (detritus) in the tank. The back panel is hollow and has incredibly small openings. Opae Ula are the only shrimp I can find that can tolerate the salinity, fit the size requirements, and are readily available.

Plus a truly massive amount of hiding places for them.

Even if I only rarely see them, they would still be doing their job.
Ggg
Egg
Egg

Post by Ggg »

Did you have any luck with keeping them in 1.025 sg? Did they breed?