Help with transfering to a new tank.

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Ngohoangtuan2
Egg
Egg

Help with transfering to a new tank.

Post by Ngohoangtuan2 »

Hi. I currently have my shrimp in a 1 gallon jar. But there is a crack on my jar. I want to transfer my shrimps and snails to a new tank. Do I need to set up a new tank and catch the shrimps and snails to a new tank. Or I just have a new tank and transfer everything in my old tank to the new one. If I transfer everything do I need follow certain ways to do it?
Thanks.
shrimpnoobie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Help with transfering to a new tank.

Post by shrimpnoobie »

You can transfer everything, although this seems very difficult to do with your shrimp in the tank. I guess you have two options. You can move your shrimp to a little temporary shrimp container with some of their water and attempt to transfer everything while they wait in their temporary house. I think it would be hard to transfer that without your substrate getting everywhere unless you have big rocks which is not really recommended so I would say just buy sand at that point. So once you’re done transferring everything and your substrate has settled I would add your shrimp back in. Other option is just build a new tank and add in like 80% of your old water so it has that good bacteria and then you can add your shrimp in to their new home. Congrats to your shrimp on their new home
Sasquatch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Help with transfering to a new tank.

Post by Sasquatch »

I would transfer everything you can to the new tank since the old tank is established and has all the good algae and bacteria etc. I recently switched up my tank, and I had to remove all the shrimp first which I did by pouring them out/catching them with a ladle. They say in a cup with their tank water while I tweaked the tank. After the dust cloud settled an hour or so from the rearrangement I poured them back in.