high tank or low tank?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Zlatan2601
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

high tank or low tank?

Post by Zlatan2601 »

I am looking at a higher tank because it seems more beautiful to me. Assuming the same volume, is there any reason not to go for a high tank instead of a low tank?

for example:
H= 40 cm
W= 20 cm
L= 20 cm

instead of:
H= 20 cm
W= 40 cm
L= 20 cm

I do not find any information online...
thank you!
Aennedry
Larva
Larva

Re: high tank or low tank?

Post by Aennedry »

I am planning on a higher tank. These shrimp don't stay entirely at the bottom of the tank like freshwater micro shrimp. I want to do a lava wall on the back, angling down on the sides, minimum 15 gal. I am aiming for it to mimic a slice of their natural habitat.
Zlatan2601
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Zlatan2601 »

Waaw, sounds really nice! Good to know that high tanks are also an option!
dilandau
Egg
Egg

Post by dilandau »

i have a small tank at 8 inch cube but and i find my shrimp swimming in all four corners of the tank, they like to do back flips and skim the top. might help that one of the decor reaches almost the top of the tank on one corner and the moss ball i bought from this site floats.
i don't think your going to find info on tank depth in relation to shrimp since they seem to go wherever they darn-well please so long as there are no predators. even with other shrimp keepers that i have researched, there seems to be no problems having any shape tank, even Mustafa has vids on the supershrimp site showing his shrimp and mossballs, you see them all swimming freely in, what is basically open water, all the way to the top.
what you are going to find on "tank depth" is regarding plants and lighting because light has a harder time penetrating water the deeper it is, not the biggest deal unless you have plants at the vary bottom so you should be aware of the light requirements of your plants and what light your getting.

hope this helps
Zlatan2601
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Zlatan2601 »

Great info, thank you!