Fishing Line in Tank - For Decor?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Fishing Line in Tank - For Decor?

Post by SuperProofer »

Hi All,

This might be a silly question, but I am toying around with new ways to decorate my upcoming tank. It's a little taller than it is wide, so I was looking at rigging up a way to hang some cross-cut shells from the lid in some way to make it look like they are floating in the water. I was thinking of using some clear fishing line to tie them up with.

Question is: any know if there is a possibility of the line deteriorating or leeching into the water somehow over time?
dilandau
Egg
Egg

Re: Fishing Line in Tank - For Decor?

Post by dilandau »

so, I'm no "expert" but make sure its fishing line from a fishing store as i would advise against the clear thread sold in craft stores, that stuff for sure will leach something.
should really talk to an aquarium shop, one that deals with salt water critters and /or shrimps. i remember people talking about keeping floating moss balls down with fishing line tied to a rock so there should be more then a few uses for fishing line in tanks.

hope this helps.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Good point about the moss balls. I think I read that somewhere too. Thanks!
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

I also got confirmation from the vendor that the shells do have some sort of "coating" on them which gives them their shiny appearance. He doesn't know what it is though. Anyone have any knowledge on this and whether or not they'd be safe for an opae tank?
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Bumping for one last shot at someone having an answer before I buy the shells. Was hoping to get them before Christmas, but if this is a "when in doubt, leave it out" situation, I won't buy them at all. Thanks!

"I also got confirmation from the vendor that the shells do have some sort of "coating" on them which gives them their shiny appearance. He doesn't know what it is though. Anyone have any knowledge on this and whether or not they'd be safe for an opae tank?"
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

If all even the vendor knows is that they've been coated with an unknown substance, I'd err on the side of caution. Beyond someone in the know being able to examine them I'm not sure what anyone could do or how they could tell you more. I mean personally I think if the shells are made to be put in aquariums then I doubt they're toxic, but I wouldn't take the chance.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

I don't know that they are exactly made to be in aquariums. They are just cross cut shells, presumably for decoration/crafting, but doesn't specifically say one way or the other.

So, like this:
Attachments
Shells3.jpg
Shells2.jpg
Shells2.jpg (9.75 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
Shells1.jpg
Shells1.jpg (11.63 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

What Varanus said. I hope you didn't risk it.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Nope. I haven't started that tank yet, either... Need the construction to stop. :?
dilandau
Egg
Egg

Post by dilandau »

if they don't know what it is, its because the original makers were poor and used clear nail polish or wood varnish.
literally anything they can get there hands on for cheap. you have to remember that these people are poor and are just trying to make a living, they comb the shore for small or broken shells then they cross cut them and coat them. when you buy from "vendors", they usually get them from these same poor people in bulk and might change hand a few times before you see them in your store, this and the fact that the makers will use whatever is readily available, makes it hard to back track what they use to coat the items to begin with. its not like they ever could consider that someone would want to put it in a tank.
its best to get your hands on natural shells uncut shells.