How to carry opae ulas on a plane?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

newqq
Egg
Egg

How to carry opae ulas on a plane?

Post by newqq »

I'm wondering if anyone tried hand carrying opae ulas onto planes? Please advise the best way possible. I'm thinking of sneaking it in a shampoo bottle, which has to be 100ml or less. Not sure if it will be visible under the scanner during security check since the opae ulas will be swimming, might be obvious that something alive is in there.. Also the temperature and pressure difference on the plane might kill it? anyone with experience please reply. Thanks!
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: How to carry opae ulas on a plane?

Post by Varanus »

Why would you even need to do it that way? Just ship them the way multitudes of online stores ship shrimp.
newqq
Egg
Egg

Post by newqq »

I live in asia and the shop i’m buying from is in a different country.
crittersni
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by crittersni »

About 20 years ago, I used to fly with my parrot, and before that hamsters. Security doesn't care about the animals as long as there is no safety issue for the plane. It's the airline who wants to know what's flying.

I would call the airline (no name) for information to see if they'd have a problem with less than 3 oz of water and the mini shrimp in an airtight/water tight container.

Then, get a lock & lock or snaplock container (both good brands) that make small containers for water and air. Mustafa ships with a cord in the water they can hold, and puts that in a Styrofoam container to maintain temperature.

I have not travelled with aquatic pets, but that's what I'd do.
crittersni
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by crittersni »

Between countries, there are likely more issues. Check with the airline and with customs. They're fussy about plants & animals due to disease control.

I'm guessing that a small amount for a personal tank won't be a problem, but I don't know. Point out that if they got loose, they'd die because of brackish water requirements.

Always ask for a supervisor if you don't like the info you get. If you get approvals, make note of the date, time, and contact name.
newqq
Egg
Egg

Post by newqq »

It’s between countries so it has to be checked for diseases at least a week before the flight and it is expensive. That’s why i want to sneak it through the X-ray security. I’m planning to get about 20 opae ulas and i’m afraid that the sericurity will notice the movement in the bottle.

If this thread is not allowed please delete it. Feels like i’m asking how to commit a crime lol
mike.d
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by mike.d »

Does it need to be inspected if you put it in your checked baggage?

I'm with Varanus on this one. Why not buy the shrimp, put them in breather bags with a piece of filter foam, pack them in styrofoam, and ship them to yourself? With these shrimp you don't even need breather bags, just leave some air in it.

Or not. There must be places that will ship them internationally to your final destination.

My skepticism isn't intended to make you feel uncomfortable. It just seems like there's a much easier way to accomplish your goal.
newqq
Egg
Egg

Post by newqq »

That’s a good idea and thanks for the suggestion but really the weather can get too hot for the shrimp. I live in the equator the heat will cook it. I think the best option is to buy a checked baggage instead of carry-on.
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

How far are you flying? At 30,000 feet the cargo area of a plane can get pretty cold.
newqq
Egg
Egg

Post by newqq »

The flight is about 2 and a half hours or about 1500km in distance. That’s what I’m afraid too. I don’t know how cold the cargo area can get. Hope a styrofoam box is enough to hold the heat in.
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Just remembered Mustafa ships Priority Mail across the US, which can take up to 3 days even by air, so I guess probably will be ok. His bags come packed in a little styrofoam box. You can see how mine were packed in an old thread: https://www.petshrimp.com/discussions/v ... 802#p38802

Good luck! Let us know how everything works out.