white worms: friend or foe?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

dilandau
Egg
Egg

Re: white worms: friend or foe?

Post by dilandau »

i found a worm ..... so they found a way to survive in the gravel :shock: just saw it dart out and swam back under, might have been feeding off of whatever algae grew directly from the shrimp poop down there? w/e... couldn't just lay down and die

on the bright side one of my berried shrimp just gave birth! i know that they will not be bothered by the worms but now i will have to find some way to get rid of them ... i know you can treating the water but you have to have a special shrimp filter for that and with all that my tank just went threw and now with the new arrival bobbing all over the tank, i think i will just leave it and do more research for now.

will keep posted.
20190118_200458.jpg
20190118_165620.jpg
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: white worms: friend or foe?

Post by Mustafa »

Aquarium stores are notorious for having no idea. Selling and actually keeping/breeding shrimp/fish are two different things. Aquarium store employees and owners like to look knowledgeable and authoritative so they will sound very sure about things they actually have no idea about or just "heard" something about.

These larvae eat absolutely nothing. They don't even have mouthparts for eating. :-D

As for your berried shrimp, congratulations! :)
dilandau wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:29 pm i asked the aquarium shop that keeps and sells a wide variety of shrimp and they say that larvae do eat a little but when they do its mostly just the tank algae which is why i was thinking they could have starved but if a light can burn plants and stress adults shrimp like that then maybe... really messed up.