Tank Trois!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Tank Trois!

Post by i<3Opae »

I love reading people's tank update threads, and I decided to start a thread on my new tank to post updates and pictures. :lol:

This tank is currently on its 5th week of cycling. I don't see any visible sign of algae on the rocks or tank walls. There is a layer of biofilm on top that looks like oil in light. I tried giving it some LED light 24/7, but after a week I turned it off out of frustration that nothing seemed to grow! :smt079 So now it's just sitting there with natural light. The temperature is around 79. That *very* green moss ball is a fake one :-D

The rocks are called "South Seas Base Rock" from a local tropical fish store. I've used it in another tank, and I LOVE it. It's got a lot of hiding places and a good source of calcium carbonate. Also, the holes are big enough in the rock that there seems to be many inner connected tunnels within the rocks.

I'm going to wait another 2 weeks, just to be on the safe side. But I'm stoked to have shrimp added in there.

This picture is from week 2 of cycling, but honestly it doesn't look that much different right now. :shock:
Attachments
3B6C821E-7B74-469F-9D16-7BE330DD2DCE.jpeg
Aquarimax
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Tank Trois!

Post by Aquarimax »

Nice hardscape...beautiful setup all around, really! I am setting up my 5th tank, just added the substrate (black sand/fine gravel with aragonite), Mustafa’s macroalgae, and one of my mini moss balls today. Now comes the waiting!
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Thank you! Wow 5th tank! :smt005 I’m running out of room to put tanks, so I think the 3rd will be the last for a while. Lol

I use black sand as substrate too, I have a big bag from the first tank, I really like it cus it compliments the red shrimp. :)

Happy cycling!
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

The more you think about a tank, the more you mess with it...I measured the salinity in cycling tank, and turned out the salinity was nearly at 1.020. So I took out some water and replenished with fresh water to bring the salinity down. And that's not all, I yanked some green algae growing in another tank and placed that in the new tank...(face palm).

Good news is that I saw the second berried shrimp in tank #2! :D Looks about 8 egg. So that tank is off limits now for any further interference. :-D
Attachments
Help from another tank
Help from another tank
Berried female!
Berried female!
03amida
Larva
Larva

Post by 03amida »

That is such a nice setup, it really lets the rock shine. I wanted to use black substrate but didn’t have luck finding it locally and didn’t trust Amazon sellers. I bet the color of the shrimp pops in your two established tanks!
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Thank you! :D I’ve gone from colorful decor to more contrasting setup, I was inspired by quite a few tanks on this forum! :mrgreen:
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Brown algae finally!! Week 6! I took Varanus’d advice and added some spirulina. And I spotted the first tiny spot of algae about 3-5 days later. Today I noticed more tiny spots of brown algae popping up. Yay!
Attachments
Happy brown algae
Happy brown algae
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

When I checked the tank this morning, there were more brown algae spots popping up everywhere. :mrgreen:
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

About time to order some shrimp then I say. 8)
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Indeed! Already did! :mrgreen:
03amida
Larva
Larva

Post by 03amida »

Happy to hear that the long wait is over! How many shrimp did you order? If I don’t see any algae when I get in to the office tomorrow then I’ll put in a tiny speck of fish food in the tank; especially seeing how it fixed your algae problem!
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Yeah the organic matter could really kick start the algae (besides time)! I ordered 20 shrimp to start. This is a 2.5 gallon tank. :lol: I think Varanus was right that all the good algae should be present even when not visible. And given the snails and moss ball in your tank are all doing well, it’s definitely a good sign for a cycled tank!
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

My shrimp have arrived!!! :D They all huddled around the yarn when I first saw them. I cut an opening in the bag and dumped everything in the tank. Some started swimming around right away, while some clung to the yarn. When all but one shrimp left the yarn, I took it out with a tweezer. (By the way it’s so much easier working with a smaller tank!)

The activity level is still pretty high compared to the established tanks. Half already stopped exploring and settled on either the sand or the rock to forage. It’s totally understandable given the trip and the jet lag. :lol:
Welcome new shrimp!
Welcome new shrimp!
03amida
Larva
Larva

Post by 03amida »

So glad that your shrimp arrived safely and have settled in! Is the algae level keeping more to your liking with this tank?
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Thanks for asking! :) Actually there are a lot more algae on the tank wall now, still not that much on the rock. If it ends up obstructing the view, I'll put "borrow" a nerite snail from another tank. :mrgreen: