Finally!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Finally!

Post by Nellyville41 »

Mine was 6 weeks from berries to hatched and left the mom. So 42 days ish
JoeG
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoeG »

Thanks Nellyville41 for the confirmation. Mine took 44 days to see the dozen floaters (there were actually 14, I missed a couple the first few days). So I guess the moral of the story is to not give up hope if 30 days comes and goes, there is still hope.
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

Wow interesting observation. Thank you @Nilleville41 and @JoeG :smt023, it must be the temperature then.
Mine never delay that much, its 30 days more or less.
JoeG
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoeG »

It is day 16 since I saw my first floater and he has turned into a tinnnnnnny little shrimp! It was pure luck that he was on the front glass and I was using my magnifier to look at the floaters. He is so tiny I can see why they sort of disappear for a few weeks until they molt and start acting like the adults. The other 14 floaters are a week old so they have at least one more week to go.
Attachments
C6232E08-E8A9-4EFC-AED8-0EAE7FA71E02.jpeg
JoeG
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoeG »

Update. It all started 82 days ago with the siting of my first two berried females. Well yesterday I saw the first two of the babies swimming and acting like the rest of the grownup shrimp. They are approximately 1/4” in length, if that, but they glide through the water, rest on the rocks and climb on the sides of the glass like the rest. There have not been any new bobbers since this first batch of 14 but there is at least one berried female in the tank and she has been berried for quite some time. I’m sure there will be more of the original 14 babies making their appearance in the coming days. If they are anything like the rest of the shrimp I will only be seeing a couple at a time. I have 30 shrimp in this 5 gal tank and I’m lucky if I can count 10 at any one time. At night when the room is dark for several hours and I turn on the room light I can count upwards of 20+ shrimp out and about. It will be two years the first of December since I started keeping these shrimp and it has definitely been an enjoyable hobby. Patience and leaving them pretty much alone, other then watching and enjoying them, is definitely good advice. Thanks for all the comments.
JoeG
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoeG »

After the last update, 15 minutes ago :D , I just looked in the tank and there is a moult and a new berried female. The cycle continues!!