Happy Shrimp...I think?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Kval1015
Larva
Larva

Happy Shrimp...I think?

Post by Kval1015 »

Hi All -

I posted back in July about our move from NY to Michigan. All shrimp and habitats made it safely through the drive.
They seem to be pretty settled into their new Midwest home, however I haven't seen any molting occurring since the move.
All the shrimp are extremely bright red in color, which leads me to believe their pretty happy / content in their environment, just not sure why we aren't seeing any molts or berried females? Any thoughts?
Attachments
IMG_20200210_161241.jpg
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Happy Shrimp...I think?

Post by Vorteil »

It takes time and the right conditions. The Opae Ula only breed 1-2x a year & there's no guaranty they will. Very slow breeders. It's not like FW shrimp where the females eventually become berried.
Kval1015
Larva
Larva

Post by Kval1015 »

Would you say it's a good sign that they are all bright red in color? Is that an indication that their conditions are good?

I haven't seen any molts since the move. I removed all the fake plants I had in there after the move so it's pretty bare bones in terms of decorations; I just have 2 lava rocks. They are very active daily, always swimming and eating.

I'm assuming this means that conditions might be good, but I'm not sure if there is something else I should be doing.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, the bright coloration means they are doing just fine. I barely ever see molts in my own tanks, too. The shrimp get to the molts before I see them. It's not essential for them to be molting all the time. Just leave them be and you'll be surprised to see berried shrimp at some point. is that a calcium carbonate type of substrate you have there? If not, they need some source of calcium carbonate.
Kval1015
Larva
Larva

Post by Kval1015 »

Yes my substrate has calcium carbonate...I used aragonite substrate.
Attachments
IMG_20200212_154238.jpg
Kval1015
Larva
Larva

Post by Kval1015 »

Thank you for the feedback Mustafa; hopefully spring and warmer weather will bring me some luck with berried shrimp!