My first Yamato/Amano shrimp!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

My first Yamato/Amano shrimp!

Post by chlorophyll »

Neat animals. They are so lively and quick moving... much moreso than any other shrimp I've kept. I've never kept any of the common amphidromous shrimp (beside giant prawns, Macrobrachium rosenbergii) so I suppose this may be very typical for any shrimp that need to scale upstream after completing larval life, but these guys seem like real climbers. I curiously and nervously observed one female attempting to climb up the smooth inside of a glass beaker, using her wetness to stick to the glass! I had to swoosh her back into the water.

When transferring them into their new home, I didn't even need a net. I just dipped a plant into their container, waited for them to grab on, and lifted them out along with the plant.

I wonder if anybody here has ever kept them in a tank with a small decorative rock waterfall. Perhaps they'd be observed trying to scale the rocks :o

I know Hawaiian mountain shrimp would probably do that. Boy, I need to go find some.
Used
Egg
Egg

Post by Used »

I agree they are really cool shrimp. I have two in my 1 gallon with a snail and plant. Mine swim upsidedown underneath the waters surface. :-D
sprucansailor
Larva
Larva

Post by sprucansailor »

What is your maintenance schedule for your 1 gallon? I have been thinking about doing a small 2.5 gallon shrimp tank.

Thanks

Branden
Used
Egg
Egg

Post by Used »

Well I just set it up 4 weeks ago. The 1 gallon has no heater or filter, I might add asponge filter later on. For water changes I do 4 cups every week and thats about it I don't really need to do much because the shrimp have a very little bioload on the tank. I just throw in 1 shrimp pellet in there three times a day. The snail is alittle messy though, but not too much to have a big affect. I havent done a gravel cleaning yet because the one I have now is too big for the tank, so I will go out and buy a small one. I think the idea of a 2.5 gallon shrimp tank sounds cool. Are you going to use a filter or just do more water changes? I would also like to know if you don't mind what shrimp you would like to house and how many?. Hope this helps.(':D').
sprucansailor
Larva
Larva

Post by sprucansailor »

I was just planning on using a lot of plants and no filter.

I was thinking of putting in either a few Ghost, Cherry, or Amano unless I see something else in the stores areound here.

Thanks

Branden
bochr
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by bochr »

I keep 4 Amanos in a palludarium.
A couple of times I have seen shrimps climbing 20 cm. above the watersurface and trying to get into the filteroutlethose.

Here's a picture http://195.128.175.201/galleri_ny/uploa ... 0005ny.jpg
Used
Egg
Egg

Post by Used »

Bochr what is a palludarium? Is it where its a tank that is half water and has plants growing out of the water.
bochr
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by bochr »

Used >> Yes that is what I call a palludarium.
Sorry for my bad english :oops:
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

Paludarium usually refers to an aquarium setup with both water and land area. It doesn't necessarily have to have plants, but most people who set them up want to add terrestrial plants. They can be really nice, really cool setups. I'm going to setup a really nice one, one day :-D
But one often overlooked problem is that a covered tank will have condensation obstructing view of the land area. Uncovered tanks will probably have increased evaporation, and you'd want to avoid multiple ugly hard water stains from occuring at the water line.

Anyway, here's a convenient example:
http://www.aquahobby.com/tanks/e_tank0503.php

Now there's another tank I would like to watch shrimp climb the waterfall in.

Thanks for the report of your climbers, Bochr :D
retardo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by retardo »

sprucansailor wrote:I was just planning on using a lot of plants and no filter.

I was thinking of putting in either a few Ghost, Cherry, or Amano unless I see something else in the stores areound here.

Thanks

Branden
this setup is perfectly fine. plants are their own biofilter. they use the waste products produced by shrimp or others fauna as a source of food. still, i would make sure the water that you use is fully cycled before adding any shrimp. this will minimize any kind of unwanted deaths.