air bubbles aren't popping?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

wheezo
Larva
Larva

air bubbles aren't popping?

Post by wheezo »

i just set up a new shrimp tank and the air bubbles from the sponge filter doesnt seem to be popping like they do in my normal tanks. the bubbles fill up half the tank surface before any starts popping. any body experience this? im afraid there might be something bad in the water...
jwarper
Egg
Egg

Post by jwarper »

yes it does sound as if the water could have something in it. Did you wash the tank with soap? That is usually a bad thing to do because soap residue tends to contaminate the water of the tank afterwards. :?
wheezo
Larva
Larva

Post by wheezo »

nope, i didn't add any soap... i never add soap or anything when cleaning tanks. just rinse with water usually. its newly set up. new plants/ wood, sand, etc.
Pconnieae
Egg
Egg

Post by Pconnieae »

Hi,

if everything is new, don't worry. Just cycle your tank :) .
SnyperP
Egg
Egg

Post by SnyperP »

Do you have plants in your tank? Generally with a planted tank protien builds up on the top of the take (looks like chemical slime). And this "slime" makes it very difficult for bubbles to pop.
wheezo
Larva
Larva

Post by wheezo »

update: everything seems fine now... i do have plants in the tank. but i don't think it's the plant's fault. i lowered my water a bit, it was pretty close to the cover which made it harder for them to pop. which was suggested on another forum. that and time was the answer, after lowering water it didn't affect it too much. but waiting a few days helped. not sure which helped more, but everything is good now =)

waiting for my shrimps to arrive now! argh.. can't wait lol.
Pconnieae
Egg
Egg

Post by Pconnieae »

What species will you keep in that tank?