Cherry Babies Without Colour

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Cherry Babies Without Colour

Post by beckypyyeung »

My Cherry babies are 3 weeks old today. Their size is about 3 times bigger than before. However, they show no colour at all, not even a tiny patch of red. I've seen in fish shops that small Cherry babies are red.

Well, the substrate of their small tank is sand. There is a little bit java moss inside. Is it because of the light-colored substrate that they can't show their 'red' color?
retardo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by retardo »

cherries don't always color up right away. some will color up sooner than others. mustafa has stated in other posts that some juvies (well past the 3 week mark) don't color up till they reach adulthood. i would theorize that some cherries have better genes than others so some have a better disposition than others for the coveted "red". tank and water conditions will, of course, have an impact as well. be patient, and they will color up just for u to see! take care.
shrimpboyLA
Larva
Larva

Post by shrimpboyLA »

Here is a photo of my baby RCS. This one is approximately 3 weeks old.

They don't tend to get that red until they get older I think.

beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

Wow, your 3-week-old little cherry is very colourful !! Wow, beautiful ! My baby cherries are totally transparent. Well, I'll wait.
Lotus
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Lotus »

My cherry babies seem to start getting color after about 3 or 4 days. They aren't red at that point, but a pinkish color. The ones that are about 3 weeks old have quite a lot of color in my tank.
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

I visited a fish shop yesterday. I saw a lot of baby cherries living together with adult cherries. The babies there which were smaller than mine were in red. I chatted with the shopkeeper. He suggested me to change the substrate into something in deep brown or black. He said the color of substrate would definitely affect their body color. I've done that. I believe my baby cherries will go red soon. :D
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

That is a nice looking shrimp you have there, thanks for sharing!
shrimpboyLA
Larva
Larva

Post by shrimpboyLA »

It's my pleasure!

I'm still learning the art of macro photography. Hopefully I will be able to take photos so clear that we can see all the beautiful details of the shrimps what we all love so much.

D
Jane
Egg
Egg

Post by Jane »

I have some "baby" cherry shrimp, I'm not positive of the age. Mine were also very pale beige to translucent at first, and have gotten more coloration with each molting cycle. (they've had two that I know of.....scared the %*&# out of me to find the exoskelatons, until I realized they were empty!)

Anyhow, I've found they often molt (the adults, too, if its their "time") after a water change of at least 25%. I think it may be triggered by adding a bit of iodine to the new water. I've read that it is necessary for their new exoskelatons to harden up properly. I use Kent Marine Iodine for Saltwater tanks, 1/2 teaspoon for every 6-8 gallons new water introduced to my tank (38 gal w/aquatic plants). Iodine apparently gets used up by the system, I've also read some folks add it on a weekly basis, but I just add it with water changes. I've also always been adding (for a 25% water change, about 8 gal) 1/4 to 1/2 tsp Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) and purified (for aquarium use) Sodium Chloride (NaCl) "regular" salt in the same amount with a water change. Note that salts can accumulate (they don't really get depleted), so that's why I only add it with a water change, and sometimes skip the salt altogether. I also lace my substrate with a bit of calcium carbonate - dolomite. (see M's article on this site that mentions using a cuttlebone - same idea).

I began adding iodine to the water change regime after reading more about cherry shrimp, and while it may be anecdotal, I have noticed that the youngsters all seemed to molt (and often the adults too) after I'd done an iodine-laced water change. I also noticed that after that first molt (with iodine) all 4 of my youngsters in that tank seemed to show a dramatic increase in red coloration. They've kept that, and are much, much easier to find now, LOL!

I'm sure yours will color up just fine. You may want to give a smidge of iodine a try.

Best of Luck!
-Jane
jwarper
Egg
Egg

Post by jwarper »

Iodine and calcium are necessary for the health of all shellfish. Adding a bit of iodine every once in a while is a very good idea. Also, if the shrimp will eat it, certain crab foods will contain iodine and calcium. Buy a small can of crab food pellets and drop a few in the tank to see if the shrimp will eat them. It would be an easy way to make sure they are getting all their vitamins and minerals :)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Jane and "jwarper",

Your shrimp most likely molt as a response to Iodine as a mild toxin (yes, Iodine in larger amounts is used as a disinfectant!). Shrimp molt for two primary reasons: 1. because they are growing 2. because they are reacting to stress, i.e. adverse conditions/chemicals and water conditions (this is where the Iodine comes in and this is why you see shrimp molting in bags during transport and even after water changes which change the water chemistry.... because they are stressed out).

People have misinterpreted this for years because everyone thinks that molting is always a good thing (which it is not....e.g. certain shrimp can molt when they are starving, too, because their bodies are shrinking and they have to grow a new tighter skin).

Any living thing (including us humans) needs Iodine, among other things, in tiny *trace* amounts to survive. The food we eat provides us with more than enough needed Iodine and other trace elements in most cases (unless you eat french fries and burgers at McDonalds every day). Same applies to shrimp and other crustaceans. They don't just suck up Iodine out of the water like sponges. They could not even if they wanted to because Iodine breaks down inside an aquarium very quickly even without anything sucking it up.

Iodine has been hyped really for no reason (except commercial reasons) and out of lack of understanding. I've had a small marine tank with some Lysmata cleaner shrimp and green crabs in it for almost a year and have not added a single drop of Iodine, Calcium or anything. In fact...I have not even changed the water once (just topped off evaporated water with tap water..not even RO water). I give them normal pellet food (not even specific marine or crab food or other nonsense like that) and that, along with the live rock and the aragonite substrate, is enough to provide them with everything they need to do just great.

On the freshwater side...I have never used a single drop of Iodine and I am currently keeping and breeding more species of shrimp than anyone else in the Americas. None of of the breeders I know in Germany or Japan use Iodine or other supplements either. None of them have even heard about "crab bites." As to the cuttlebone, I don't ever put it in because I think that the shrimp are going to "suck up" calcium from it...I only put it in when the water from the tap is so soft that there is a possibility of a PH crash if I add things like oak leaves. So it only serves a buffering purpose and is *not* a supplement. In fact...a lot of my tanks do not have cuttlebone or any calcium containing stones or minerals in them.

And I'll say it here again...a lot of shrimp come from habitats that have very acid and soft water (PH 5.5 for example and very low conductivity), which did not have the chance to accumulate much or any calcium, Iodine or anything at all. It's basically rain water for all practical purposes. Go try telling those shrimp that they need to have Iodine and calcium in their waters. Also tell those shrimp that are happily munching on algae, rotting leaves and fungus on the leaves that they should switch to "crab bites" becausse it's better for them and provides them with "calcium and iodine." If shrimp could laugh, they would crack up about that proposition.

I see that I really have to write another article about Iodine and other unnecessary supplements such as "crab bites" and calcium to attempt to get rid of this misconception once and for all. It would also help to do a search in this forum on "Iodine" and see what I have written about it. I have repeated the above points ad nauseum here and elsewhere over and over again and its very frustrating that the same misconceptions keep persisting.

Jane and jwarper, this is nothing personal against you so I don't want you to take this personally. I am just frustrated with the Iodine and supplement story in general. These stories have been spread so a few people can make a few more dollars off of these supplements....that's all.

Hope this helps :) .

Mustafa
jwarper
Egg
Egg

Post by jwarper »

hehe, thanks for the information Mustafa. It is quite the common thing in the aquarium hobby world to be given wrong advice and information. We are lucky to have experienced people like yourself to help us.

I was taking my information from other websites, many of which sold such items (an obvious reason for hyping them eh?) It is a shame that misinformation exists everywhere you turn.

Yet could there be a small benefit to such practices? Why else would they come about otherwise? These animals are living in aquariums instead of their natural environments, eating foods we provide for them. They might eat hundreds of other things in the wild! Im only bringing up such an argument only to question such practices further, not to contradict anyone. Everyone's comments are appreciated :)

~Joe