Pink residue in tank?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

nyangela
Egg
Egg

Pink residue in tank?

Post by nyangela »

Hi, I just started my tank around the new year and I currently only have trumpet snails and chaeto in them, no shrimps yet. The tank has been sitting by a window, hoping that the sun would help with algae growth. However, I noticed some bright pink residue on the substrate. It's a lot brighter pink in the back (toward the window) than the front. Would anyone have some advice or any idea what it is?
Attachments
output-onlinejpgtools.jpg
output-onlinejpgtools (1).jpg
output-onlinejpgtools (2).jpg
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Pink residue in tank?

Post by Mustafa »

That looks like coralline algae in its beginning stages. What's your salinity? Coralline algae should not be able to grow at Supershrimp salinities.
nyangela
Egg
Egg

Post by nyangela »

Sorry I didn't see this until now! After a while, I didn't think anyone would respond so stopped checking.

It's not pink anymore but it really doesn't look like anything is alive. The chaeto has turned white, and the snails are no longer crawling around. There isn't a whole lot of algae, actually. I don't have any device I can use to check the salinity, but did my best to follow instructions on this website to make it 1/2 the typical concentration used with marine salt. I wouldn't be surprised if I had made some sort of error with it at the time. Is it time to start over?
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

If you still don't have any shrimp, I would say start over. Better to be safe than sorry.
nyangela
Egg
Egg

Post by nyangela »

Hey! That day I ended up doing a partial water change- maybe 2/3 or 3/4? with new water and was extra careful about the salinity proportions. I also removed the sad lump of white chaeto.

Turns out some of the snails were still alive! They're still kicking, and to my surprise, there are long strands of what appears to be chaeto growing from their shells. So not all is lost! Even better, the areas of the glass that used to be bright neon pink are now beginning to turn a nice green. I'd love to order the shrimp now, but I'm moving across town in May so will have to wait to order them then.

Might be a weird question, but Is there any way to "harvest" the chaeto from the snail shells eventually? As in, once it grows a little more, I'd like to cut it off the snails and re-form it into a loose ball like the way it came when I purchased it. I'm just not sure if cutting the chaeto will harm it?

I'm also still not sure what to do about the snails that appear to be dead, especially since I'm apparently not very good at seeing if they're dead or alive lol.

Thanks for all the help!