Max Population Acheived

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Max Population Acheived

Post by Vorteil »

I think for this 6 gallon tank I've reached it's max population.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoVzs_4FBZE
attygirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Max Population Acheived

Post by attygirl »

Wow .... pretty amazing! Can you post a video or photo of what the tank looks like when they are not feeding? I am curious how many shrimp are seen normally. I know I put 50+ shrimp in my tank but never see more than 20 or so on any given day. Are they really that good at hiding?? There are not many places to hide unless they burrow into the substrate and if the others died and were eaten how would I know ...... Thanks.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

JoeG
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoeG »

Vorteil any estimate on how many you have in that tank? My tank is a 5 gal. and I have approximately 380 (I keep track of the floaters and assume they all live) with lots more room. There are currently 65 floaters and last night I counted 5 heavily berried females. So they are still expanding their numbers.

Attygirl it has been my experience that if you have rocks/hiding places you will only see about 1/2 your shrimp at any time. You said you had 50+ shrimp and see 20 or so at any time. That sounds right to me.
attygirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by attygirl »

Vorteil - thanks for posting the second video. It was fun to compare the two videos. You definitely have a high population with so much activity even without feeding. Also, your macro algae is such a beautiful color of green. The macro algae in my tank is a very pale color, almost white, and I should probably replace it. I think my light is too bright but no way to dim it unless I cover up some of the lights.

JoeG - thanks for your comment and update on your tank. Good to know a 5 gallon tank can hold so many shrimp. 65 floaters! ... your guys and gals have been busy 8)
Opaeula_mama
Egg
Egg

Post by Opaeula_mama »

I found the old algae thread before I found this one. I love this tank. The macroalgae looks so vibrant compared to the video of 5 months ago. Impressive. What lighting is being used? It's lovely!

Edit: is that lava rock or something else? It took the algae so well!
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

The lighting I believe is 6 watts and should be replaced. I have been feeding freeze dried spirulina from time to time to support the population. I think there's too many in there so the goal is to remove at least half. The macro algae is doing better due to maore waste the shrimp are creating. I'm also going to trim it down. The rocks were sold as "live rock" that one usually uses in a marine tank. In all honesty had to say for sure how many are in this tank. There is a back compartment where the filtration system should be. That I gutted and have it filled with lava rocks.