any shrimp in thailand?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

kahunabill
Egg
Egg

any shrimp in thailand?

Post by kahunabill »

Does anyone know where to get shrimp in thailand? My sister is going there in a few weeks, and I was wondering if anyone knows of good stores to bring lots of shrimp back to the USA?

IF you do know any, would you let me know?
Also, what kind of issues might there be, bringing them back on the plane ride to USA? (Other than heat packs, etc.)

thanks!!!
thgng
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by thgng »

You can try Chatuchak weekend market. I was there last year. All the shops are open on Saturday and Sunday. Some shops are open during the weekdays too !

http://www.asiatraveltips.com/Chatuchak ... gkok.shtml

I bought some Wood shrimp for 15 Baht each.
The Cherries are going for 60 Baht each.

I don't know about bringing it back to USA. But all died before I can bring back to my country. They were packed in a bag of 15. A single death will pollute the water and kill the rest !

Just make sure you get them to pack 3 shrimps per bag.
Mustafa had a thread on packing and using special "breather bag" for the shrimp. Check it out.

Let us know how it turn out :D
thgng
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by thgng »

I forgot to mention that there aren't many store selling shrimps.
I managed to find 2 - 3 shops selling shrimps.

There were cherry shrimp, woods shrimp, CRS(out-of-stock), lobster and crayfish. I saw some big local shrimps which I cannot identify. But there were plenty of fishes: Goldfish, guppies, betta and many more.

Keep us updated. I might be going there in a couple of months.
Veneer
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: any shrimp in thailand?

Post by Veneer »

kahunabill wrote:Also, what kind of issues might there be, bringing them back on the plane ride to USA? (Other than heat packs, etc.)

thanks!!!
If not properly declared, the shrimp might be confiscated and destroyed.
Veneer
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Veneer »

thgng wrote:I saw some big local shrimps which I cannot identify.
Those were probably Macrobrachium spp. of some sort, most of which, I must note, are absolutely unavailable in the United States without foreign contacts.