Hiya, New here! Help me save this shrimp!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

jenaroo
Egg
Egg

Re: Hiya, New here! Help me save this shrimp!

Post by jenaroo »

Hiyas!

So it has been four weeks but the tank doesn't look much different.Not sure how to tell if it is ready. I did the flash light against the bowl, might look a bit smudgy on the inside, but not green.

How do I know it's ready? I don't want the little guy to starve!
jenaroo
Egg
Egg

Post by jenaroo »

Here he is!

https://imgur.com/gallery/TnlimUI

It’s been a little over 24 hours since putting him in the new tank. He is super tiny! I’m glad the glass magnifies him for viewing pleasure. I noticed he was much more active last night and way more chill during the day. He’s gotten super active again this evening. Swimming up and down, all around and checking out his rock :)

He’s still not red, I hope he regains his color. I’m noticing in pictures and videos online that he seems tiny in comparison. Probably shrank from shedding all those years in the globe? Is it possible he is a different kind of shrimp? He’s just so small!

It’s only been a day but so far my sister in law hasn’t asked about him or come to collect. I really want to keep him and get him some friends. I’m considering asking to keep him lol

Is it a bad idea to feed him a tiny bit? I’m super worried not enough algae grew. I did dump all of his old water in, and the gunk that was floating. There wasn’t a lot of water maybe 1/3 cup at most.

Wish him luck!
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

My biggest ones are only about the size of my thumbnail and I have small hands.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

He's a fine size. Looks normal to me. :)
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

He looks pale, which is to be expected from the moving stress, but otherwise just fine! Resist the urge to feed for now. There is plenty of biofilm for him to munch on even if you can't see algae yet. Nice going!
jenaroo
Egg
Egg

Post by jenaroo »

You guys are seriously the best! Thank you!

So, he is officially my shrimpy! My sister in law said I could adopt him since I’m quite attached already! So I’m over the moon!
This means that I am likely going to upgrade to a 1 gallon tank and order some buddies once the weather is nicer.

I have a question!

Someone has been commenting on one of my photos on the image hosting site concerned about oxygen, since there are no plants, or bubbles and that the tank is lidded. I thought that the substrate, which is aragonite provided oxygen.

I just want to make sure I get all of this right, especially if I am to get more of the little guys. I really don’t want to add any bubbles but I am definitely open to plants. The marimo ball is great, but I’m not sure about the macro algae because it fear it would grow quickly and take over a small tank. Would one moss ball do anything for oxygen in a 1gallon tank? They are pretty pricey, I could only manage to get one.

I would like to keep a covered tank. There’s a lot of dust and pet hair in my house.

Thanks again for all of your guidance!
jenaroo
Egg
Egg

Post by jenaroo »

I forgot to say! Apparently there is another “eco sphere” in the family! I’m going to speak with them and see if they are still alive. Now that I have the salt and substrate I can help them set up a new home for their shrimp!
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

I have had my tank setup for 9 months now and the macroalgae i put in at the beginning is only slightly larger than it was back then. I have had 16 shrimp in it from the beginning. I don't think you would have to worry about it taking over. I would not keep the tank tightly covered. I think you want to allow for some amount of gas exchange.
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

jenaroo wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:55 pm Someone has been commenting on one of my photos on the image hosting site concerned about oxygen, since there are no plants, or bubbles and that the tank is lidded. I thought that the substrate, which is aragonite provided oxygen.
Congratulations! You definitely want to keep the tank covered, but not sealed airtight. These shrimp have extremely low oxygen requirements compared to other animals, even compared to other shrimp. As long as there is some opportunity for gas exchange the shrimp will be fine. The substrate doesn't provide oxygen, but if you are concerned the top seals too tightly you could just pop it open for a minute each day, or maybe install some kind of bumpers (like the little clear adhesive ones you stick to cabinet doors so they don't slam shut) under the edge of the lid to create a narrow crack for air to circulate. Basically, as long as the tank is not actually sealed up tight all the time your shrimp will be fine :)

Edit to add: live plants are not necessary, but you could add the mossball and/or macroalgae if you want to. If the macroalgae gets too big you just pull some out and throw it away (after checking carefully there aren't shrimp in it).
jenaroo
Egg
Egg

Post by jenaroo »

Hi Dch48 and Super Jess!

The lid does fit tightly so I’ll figure out a solution, I don’t mind opening it daily for air exchange but I may look for some clear bumpers too. That’s a great suggestion. Something to keep in mind when I look for a larger tank.

I think I will go for one of the live plants offered here if/when I order some friends :) I love plants.

Good news! The other Eco globe has two live shrimp, they are called Willy and Billy and will be moving in with Bubba in the future! I’m not sure when as we are all practicing social distancing right now and they aren’t super local to me. I can’t wait though! I’m so excited!

Bubba’s color seems to be returning too!

https://imgur.com/gallery/5Os4VZL
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Hahaha Willy and Billy and Bubba sound like a band of bank robbers from out of the Wild West :lol:
jenaroo
Egg
Egg

Post by jenaroo »

Well! It's been almost two years since my last post! I meant to update when I added the other two! It was VERY dramatic! I almost lost one. It was my husband and I's anniversary but that was in September 2020 and we were not able to celebrate our ten year so we busted some shrimp free of their gross little dome instead.

So the globe the two "new" guys were in shattered and one was lost for at least 2-3 minutes. I ended up finding him on a tea towel :shock: I thought he was a goner. He didn't move when I popped him in with his friend, but I poked him with my finger and he zoomed away! Phew!

Fast forward almost a year and a half (?) and we still have three very red and happy little shrimp! :D I've noticed the faux rock has started to turn color with I guess algae growth and there's a bit of stringy stuff in there too. I assume they have enough food, I have not fed them. They are in a half gallon tank.

Anyways! I want to tank everyone for the help. I really do love these little guys :smt007 I call them the Gumps. I do wish they would have made some babies but I guess they can't, I don't know.

I just posted a photo of one Gump on insta if you wanna see!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CZPZiQuulEo/
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thank you very much for the update! Glad they are continuing to do well! :)